Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp into a head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThatOneGuy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    I have enough money to get either a decent amp or cab. What i was thinking of doing is taking the head out of my combo and using that on the new cab till i can afford a head. I checked and the head connects with those connecters you can slide on and off. I was wondering if i could connect these to a 1/4 jack and mount it in the back panel. I've looked but i cant find any one who sells the jacks, so if you could give me a link to some it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

2. Hmmmm....not the most original name in the world there is it???

3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    Oh i dont know... Great minds think a like and all... wierd stuff though lol

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Radio Shack? Any good music store should see replacement instrument jacks that would work just fine.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    ...These 2 Guys are really confusing me :D

Radio Shack should have what you need. Also, aren't the 1/4 jacks the similar to what Stewart MacDonald sells for basses/guitars?
    http://www.stewmac.com

6. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
  7. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    hey thanks for the replies. i think i saw what i needed on the MacDonald site, if not ill go check out Radio shack.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    BE CAREFULL!!!

What kind of amp do you want to do this with?

Not all amp outputs are grounded to the chassis of the amp. If you used a metal bodied 1/4 in. jack you could fry your amp if it's not supposed to be grounded.

You should be OK with a plastic body jack (like the kind used on Marshall guitar amps). You can get those from www.partsexpress.com or probably and shop that services musical instrument amps.

Make sure your amp is unplugged (not just switched off) when you remove the chassis from the cabinet.

Good luck!!!

9. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    BillyB: Its the head from a Fender Bassman 100 combo and i dont know if its grounded or not. Would the Neutrik combo (XLR & 1/4") jack from Partsexpress be a good choice? If so which should i get, the mono nonswithching, stereo nonswitching, stereo switching, or stereo switching GND?
    (By the way thanks for telling me about the whole metal jack thing!) Oh, and not only will i be unpluging it, i will be taking the whole power cord off! :D (thats how i usually store it)
    thanks for the help!

10. So whick oneguy are you.............anyway?

11. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    thatone.... the one without spaces?

...i dont know anymore... :bawl:

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I was thinking more along the lines of Parts Express part nos. 090-970 or 092-120 but 092-042 would certainly work...

13. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    And I think You should keep the same polarity of the speaker connections.

14. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    hmm...yeah i think that probably would be a good idea :)