1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo amps, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Dec 17, 2011.

Combo amp

Poll closed Dec 31, 2011.
  1. Mesa M6 Carbine

43 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Gallien-Krueger MB212

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Markbass Cmd 103H

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Be lazy and run direct

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. I'm looking for a really good combo amp (preferably a 2-12). I need something that can give me headroom in almost any situation, because we play alot of different size clubs. I am also a tone junkie, so it has to sound good. I'm leaning towards the Mesa M6 combo, if I can find one, but I have also read good reviews on Markbass and GK. The Mesa Bass Buster 210 combo is interesting too. I'm just curious on what your opinions are, if you have played any or all.

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    No opinion on those three as I run a Fender Bassman 200 combo which sports a 15" speaker. I've really enjoyed this amp. Modest yet versatile controls and an XLR line-out for running into a house.

You can keep my $0.02 and a courtesy bump. :bassist:

3. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Bought a Carvin BR515N a while back and love it. BX500 Head through a Neo 15" speaker sounds great. Weight is 52 lbs,and an option to add an extension cabinet. Tilt back design is perfect for smaller venues. Keep your eye out on ebay,as they sell blems sometimes for cheap. Got mine for $399.99 shipped.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Your list is way to limited. Obviously while listing the Markbass, price is not much of an issue, but you missed Carvin, SWR, Eden, Ashdown, and a bunch of others that will give you a ton of wattage, not to much weight and dependability

5. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    My Mesa M6 combo (4ohm) is great...Im just in the proceeds of looking at adding an additional cab to it!!!
    easy to roll around...sounds huge!!! Theres nothing I cant do with it!! From my 62P to my Elrick 6xer...it handles everything!!

6. I love my M6. Although I don't have a combo. Small gigs I use an Avatar B210. Medium gigs I use an Avatar B153. Big gigs I stack the B210 on the B153. After that I DI to house.
    Based upon the M6 thread here I have always been worried that the M6 would crap out at the worst time... but it hasn't yet.

7. The go to combo amp for me was just a sweet find at a guitar shop on consignment. I love to go treasure shopping like that vs buying new. However, given the choices, I'd go with the Markbass. I think the idea of being able to power an extension cab and I'm not sure the GK can do that.

8. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    M6 without a doubt. I use this as my go to amp, and with any number of cabs from 210 to 4-8 to 6-10. Always sounds great, and it has a decent amount of vocal range. Easily the boomiest head you have on your list. Solid state weight, tube sound, as loud as you could ever want And it's US made.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I personally would go with the M6. I had a Mesa Walkabout head for a while and was blown away how much I liked it over my Eden.

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    gk mb212 is a fantastic amp with plenty of power and headroom.
    Great tone as well

11. + at least 2 :cool:

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hard to beat Mesa tone and muscle...definitely a strong option

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Mesa hands-down. As an added bonus, you can unscrew the head from the combo if you so desire and use it independently with any other cabs you wish.

14. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    And, regarding the price..... the GK MB212 is cheap, the 2 others cost 2-3 times more then the GK.
    For the price of the Mesa you can get the GK MB800 and a 2x12 cab or the GK MB fusion and a 2x12 cab or even Ampeg SVT7pro and 2 15" cabs.
    Same goes or Markbass, but not as bad as Mesa.

15. I would go the Mesa out of those.

Is weight or price an issue?

16. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Tone junkies choose Mesa!
    I've got a Walkabout, but the Carbine is a good choice too.

17. Thanks for the feedback. Weight is not much of an issue, because right now I'm using a Mesa 810 to play out, and its too much for some places. It looks like I'll probably look further into the Mesa combo, but they are really hard to find. I may have to do a blind buy on it, but it is Mesa, so it will sound good. I'm surprised more people didn't go with the Markbass. From what I hear its a great amp, maybe just not as good as Mesa.