Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo or Head+Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend72, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Combo Amp

9.4%
  2. Head + Cab(s)

90.6%
  1. lowend72

lowend72

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    As a newbie to this forum, I was wondering what the concensus is about combo amps vs. a head+cab(s) setup. My current rig consists of an Eden WT300 (which has become plagued with a 60Hz hum) and an Eden 210MBX. I'm thinking of lowering the dosage of my GAS meds which would allow me to acquire more gear. Any feedback about rig composition will be helpful.

2. head and cab is the best!!

but if you really want a really really great system go pre/power!!!!

my dream rig

QSC RMX1450 POWER AMP
    BBE BMAX PRE AMP
    AND YES THE SCHROEDER 410

that is probably one of the loudest and most portable system you will find!

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Depends what you're looking for! I have two combos, and I haven't had the need yet for a big rig. If you can get away with a combo that you like, then go for it.

4. yea i frogot about that

AND TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!! (im screwed there!)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is your budget, and how much volume do you need?

I was a combo guy for 25 years. I just switched to a head and cab, because the biggest, loudest combo(Peavey BAM210) just wasn't loud enough.

I got a used Euphonic Audio iAMP 800 and a new Schroeder 1210 for $1450. This rig is louder than most head +410 rigs that I have heard, and will fit in the backseat or trunk of anything on the road.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Combo guy here.....I switched to a combo from the power/pre/cab rig. Then again, I don't need to be loud or heard over insane guitar players. I also play out once a month in a coffee shop, so my combo is more than enough.

-Mike

7. lowend72

lowend72

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    What is all the buzz about Schroeder Cabs? I've never heard of them until I started reading this forum. :bassist:

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great cab for the price. Best size/weight/low end response/price ratio I have ever found. Small, loud, light, better bass than most big cabinets at a reasonable price. Read the Schroeder megathread for more info.

9. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    the buzz is that they are reputed to be loud, excellent-sounding, small, lightweight, and reasonably priced, a combination that is commonly assumed impossible. Typically you can pick 3 out of those 5 :)

that's apparently enough to spawn <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133045">THE THREAD THAT WOULD NOT DIE</a>!

I haven't heard one yet, hopefully will soon.

10. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I prefer heads/cabs over comos, but I like them as well. I like picking up old funky stuff from pawn shops & the like. I've owned both with bands & never had a problem when jamming, but it seemed when playing live the head/cab deal won out over any combo i had.

11. sk8rboymc

sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    I don't think you'll EVER beat Schroeder customer service either.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I voted head and cab, especially if you need flexibility on weight and volume. to have a combo that can handle a high volume job can be an unwieldly heavy.

with my "rackNcab" setups I can handle almost any situation. 26LBS and 1200w into 4ohm rack with just one aguilar gs112 will handle most situations soft or loud and if I need more volume I just bring my other gs112 (42LBS).

13. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I don't think you can make a case for either, that's why I have both

I currently use the famous GK200MB combo as my ultimate light weight system for rehearsals in a choir or with a brass band. It sounds fairly good and is loud enough, And, I can have the bass on my back and the amp in my hand and just get to the rehearsal, plug in, and go.

My big system is centered an iAMP800 head and a CXL112 from Euphonic.
    For gigs with the brass band and the choir I use this system because it sounds better,
    I also can hook up the GK (headphone or DI out) and have a light small system that is loud enough to keep up with 2 guitars and a drummer.
    For serious rock I add a 15"EV to the CXL112, for more funk sound a Trace 2103X (not the "H", the "X" with the 2x5" speakers)
    And I can hook up just everyting for about 1000W.

If you try to decide, how about the following questions:
    - Do you need it very loud? If no: Combo is likely easier to move than separate. Almost every company offers good combos. I would check out the EA 200W iAmp combo or the Mark Bass. I also like my Microbass combo from GK, but that's a question of taste.
    If yes (you need it very loud):
    Do you insist on an extremely good sound? If no you can get away with a 15" combo with 100 - 200 THAT HAS A LIMITER IN THE POWER AMP. (If you don't have that limiter its much easier to blow a speaker. Most of these combos like Yorkvilles or Peavey give a really decent sound at high volumes and are indestructible.

If you want an excellent sound at high volumes you can go with things like iAMP800 combo, but that offers in most cases no real advantage over having amp and box separate.
    The problem I see with high power combos is that they start to get real heavy really quickly. For high power and good sound I went with different Head and speakers, and I don't regret it. Another advantage is that you can leave some speakers in the rehearsal room and just bring your head for rehearsal.

Oh, I should mention that I live upstairs, so I have to drag everything up one flight of stairs, thats why weight is an issue. If you live on the first floor and back up our truck into your rehearsal room weight may not be as important to you.

14. combo man here !
    i used to run a swr 750x with a sansamp and two ampeg svt 15"s or a 15 and a 2x10 mesa powerhouse cab..
    i now use a mesa boogie walkabout scout 12" combo (49 lbs)
    it has replaced my big rig and sounds better all around, the combo by itself is amazing but for outdoor gigs or large halls i add the powerhouse cab to it and have more than enough to cut thru two loud guitarist and a loud drummer, a bit pricey (around 1000.00) but very much worth it

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee, i'd kinda vote for bringing the eden to an authorized repair center and having it fixed 1st
    i voted head+cab
    combos are easy to move, but with a head like that one (i have a 400) in a gig bag and a 1x12 you can carry both and have your bass in a gig bag over your shoulder

16. lowend72

lowend72

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    The Eden is in the shop. The repair man said nothing was wrong. It was quiet as can be. Maybe it was the outlet. Any gadgets out there for protecting against group loops?

17. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Maybe it was bad luck but I found seperate pre and power amps cause more noise. It could be argued that the more gear in your signal chain, the more noise you will get as a pre-amp is just another component.

That said, I find seperate pre/power amps to be the worst offenders.