Combo Rig for Hotel gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Sep 17, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to Korea to play at the hyatt for 3 months. I'll being playing jazz the whole time i'm there. Unfortunatly we have to bring our rigs. I'm looking for a small combo to take with me. I already have a iAmp800 and a Bergie 2x10 but don't want to take it becuase I would much rather pefer to have a combo instead to make traveling and luggin a little more convinient.
    I'll be playing with my Warwick corvette the whole time.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?
  2. I would take your current rig, but you have ruled that out. Small, light weight combo for jazz translates for me into Epifani Combo with 12" speaker. I think I would like the Aggie combo also, but since you are using an iAmp now, I suspect it might be more colored than you like. Or, why not the iAmp 500 combo, a lttle heavier, but close to your current rig.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd stick to using your iamp head (i suppose you have to get it altered for the voltage?) and get a smaller cab to bring over. maybe a 1x12 like an epi, bergie, or ea wizzy.

a combo isnt going to be more portable than a small 12" and your head.
  4. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    True. It would be nice to have it all in one box though.
    I have been eyeing a 12" bergie for a while. Hmm...looks like bergie is coming out with a new 12" next month. Just in time. Looks like i'll have to buy some seperate flight cases now.
  5. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Schroeder also makes a 12 that I am sure is awesome. Havent used it though.
  6. maybe a schroeder 12 with the airhead feature so you can mount your head with it?
  7. I was about to suggest the airhead option. Your iamp is a lot of amp in a small package, why not just match it up with an awesome small cab?
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    If you are playing in Seoul and wish to purchase locally, the largest music store in the world is located there. All brands are stocked. Everything. Name it, it's there. The store is the size of an average Ikea. You'll be blown away by this place. It's set up like a mall with 30-40 individual shops inside. Prices are good. I picked up some stuff there while passing through on a business trip.
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you like the iAMP, the 500c combo is great for small gigs. IMHO the wizzy cuts through better than the CXL-112 in a band situtation. Don't let the specs sway you.

If you really want to keep the iAMP 800, see if EA will sell you just the 800c cab without the amp. But really, try the wizzy first!
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now that sounds like the idea.

bring your head, buy a cab there, and only pay shipping for the return trip.

i was also going to suggest the "airhead" route. as well as avatar, i think that some other companies make cabs that take heads, (including ones that are usually available with the company's removable head already built in. not all fit standard rack width (19") heads though.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what a fun thread. :)
  12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Check what they use for power there, could be 220.
  13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Another vote for the epifani UL combo of your choice.
  14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'm certain you can buy the 800c box on its own.

Enjoy the gig. Sounds like it will be a great experience.

As Sean says the Wizzy is an amazing little box. I think either cab (Wizzy/CXL) would work well in this situation. With the iAMP800 you can make either cab sound great.

All you need is an DB and you're set. ;)

15. So it sounds like you will be playing stricly electric and playing relatively softly? If that's the case, and you are looking for something that's easy to travel with, etc.... check out the GK Micro combo. It surely can't match your current rig for sound quality... but playing, for example, with a piano trio, they sound pretty good, since you don't need a lot of bottom (actually in that kind of situation, a lot of bottom can get in the way). They also have a very small footprint, and you can usually find one discounted pretty deeply. Again, surely not my favorite amp... but they travel great, aren't too expensive and might fit the gig perfectly.
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dr. Bass make airheads as well...

I vote for your iamp800 in a Schroeder 1-12 airhead:)
  17. [​IMG]

One of those! As much as I love my Aguilar, I'd have to recommend the Epifani UL112c. It weighs 48lbs and is USA and Euro voltage compatable. I don't know what Korea is, voltage wise, but most likely it's the same as Euro-spec.

Rather than do this though, I'd use your head with a light cab. The Epifani is an awesome cab. I personally prefer the sound of Aguilar better, but the Epi is quite efficient and EXTREMELY light. Like, you'll throw it to the ceiling when you first pick it up!
  18. No way..... great sounding combo's... but the fans on those things sound like an airplane taking off! They are great for more 'rock' type things... but if you had them on a quiet jazz gig in a hotel, the piano player would shoot you IMO :D
  19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know they were loud.