Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comeback Player Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass2x, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Man, it's been a long while, but I picked up a friends bass, took it home, and I've fallen in love again. I used to play in another life, really enoyed what I remember of it... anyway, some old bandmates want to start jammin again and I've got the fire. Been scannin eBay for an ax of my own - man, a Fender Jazz (me old stick) costs an arm and a leg! Lookin at a Yama or Ibanez to start up - any models to look for? Any to stay away from?

Thanks!

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    hi,you have my same situation,am back in the music before a terrible car accident,am i go to buy new stuff(equipment) your picke are nice boths,in Yamaha the BBs series are great and Ibanez have the BTB and are goods too,play them and pick the most you like,have a great day and keep in the music.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How much you looking to spend? This is a good and bad time to get back in the game. Its good because there are so many low and mid-priced instruments on the market (remember when cheap guitar really meant CHEAP guitar?). Its also a bad time for the very same reason. What to pick? So I guess a good point to start is how much you want spend and do you want to stick with something in the Jazz bass park as that's what you used to play?

r

4. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Umm. I whould check out a Washburn. They got some really nice stuff for their price. I have a Washburn which is why I love them but they really just make a nice bass. I am not saying that Washburn is the only way to go but ya, just check it out. You might like it.

5. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Just want to get my feet wet at this point... something solid that I can stay with for the time being. If the fire stays lit, I'll move up later. But, to start, just something that's middle of the range, quality-wise. I'm getting in shape on a borrowed Fender Squier P Bass and like to move up from there. Thanks.

6. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Welcome back Bass2x,

Same thing happened to me bout 3 months ago. Luckily i still had my 77 jazz in a closet. Took it out and had it strung and set up. Glad the EX didn't get it!

So much has changed in the almost (hemm) 25 years since I played. Learned alot from this group. Go down to your GC (or guitar stores in your area) and pick up/play as many basses as you can. I was surprised at how well some of the less expensive units felt and played. The people here at TB will help you out on specific questions.

Good luck and Welcome back

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    MIM Fender Jazz or G&L Tribute S2 (you'll have to search eBay because they discontinued them--but they're great for the $$$!).

8. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    The rational is that I'm not being paid to play this time around. Still, I'd like a quality stick to thump on. I know this Squier ain't it. But funds are limited...

9. from what you had before, i'd say look for a good used mim jazz or a g&l sb2 with a jazz neck. you can't go wrong with either, and the g&l's are still a great value. good luck.

10. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Thanks for all the advice. Guess I'll go huntin on eBay. Imagine you have to be a little lucky to get a nice bass sight unseen (unplayed) from a stranger, but there anen't many alternatives (for the price). Nice forum here. Thanks all.

11. Find a used G&L Tribute. ($400) If you get back in full swing you can upgrade and keep it as a great backup.

12. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Re: G&L Tribute...
    There are different models.
    Are there significant differences?

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Or before you try Ebay, if you're going sight unseen, check out the TalkBass classifieds. I scored a sweet Warwick from a TBer near me. Many on the boards consider him "the man" and he's a really nice guy in person.

If you're looking in the Squier budget, then a bass like the Yamaha RBX170 is a better bet. Yamaha's QC is very consistent. Ibanez's GSR200 gets a lot of love here, and it has a slightly wider neck than Soundgears. Others have mentioned the Brice and SX basses from rondomusic. I've never played one, but I've seen a local band many times where the bassist uses a Brice 5-er in drop-A and it sounds killer. Peavey makes some nice starter gear as well.

And if you're not averse to buying used, then you can definitely score some sweet gear for your coin. As much as I and others may loathe Guitar Center or Sam Ash, they are good places to find some nice used gear.

Either way, welcome back. I know the feeling. I took bass lessons for 3 years in high school, but then in college my playing petered out to the point where I didn't play from 2000-2004. It was only in early '04 when a guest teacher at the school I was working at inspired me to pick up my bass again and get my chops back. I'm seriously thinking of taking lessons again so I can learn in a more focused manner.

And, yeah, the starter basses people can get these days are so much better than the starter basses I was pounding on back in high school.

14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Talk bass Classifieds! Great place to shop. Also, if you are looking for a quick and cheap whay to go, check out Rondo Music Pretty good cheap basses. Also they carry a pretty good resale. If and when you get gooder and betterer you can always dump the SX for about what you pay for them.

15. Both would be good, I would say go for the L-2000. (or L-2500 if you want a 5-string)

I have had many basses, and this is about the best for around $400 that I have ran into.

A used MIM Deluxe jazz would be another option, but I have played some older ones that can be harsh. The new one I played was great. There are lots of (non standard) MIM Fenders that I would not hesitate to gig with. i.e. 60's reissue, deluxe, P-bass special, etc...

16. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    What's yer take on Ibanez?

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Currently the G&L Tribute line is limited to the L2000 (4 string) and L2500 (5). These are great basses with humbucking pickups and active preamps (think Fenders on steroids). These are great basses and their being Korean imports keeps the price down. However I think the bass better suited for you as yr a Fender Jazz guy on a bit of a budget, I'd say hunt down a G&L Tribute SB-2. Now G&L still offers SB-2s domestically but they are pricey. But the Tributes are pretty darn reasonable. The hitch?--they discontinued the Tribute SB-2s. Now this can also work in yr benefit because you may be able to score one on eBay on the cheap.

The SBs are basically a modern P bass. It has a Jazz style neck, American made P&J passive pickups (same as in the domestic $$$$ models!), more substantial hardware than yr standard Fender. Its pretty simple stuff but quite functional. My only beef, no tone knob. They have a volume for each pickup and that's it (you could always upgrade and add a master tone or a little 3-way mini switch).

I've tried the US and Tribute SB-2s and I like them both. The Tribute easily smokes the MIM Jazz and (the Squires don't even enter the playing field at all with this axe). I've seen one Tribute SB-2 on eBay and one here in Massachusetts that were selling under $300 and that included the G&L gig bag. Sweet deal.

Now all you have to do to find one! I don't know if that shop in Worcester, Ma still has that SB-2 but I could check.

check the G&L site: http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm

r

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Re: Ibanez.

Soundgears can be hit or miss with people, because of the super-skinny pencil necks. We're talking narrower than a Jazz bass at the nut.

I think their new-ish BTB line is one of their better lines. The necks are generally wider with an asymmetrical profile, but the large bodies can be cumbersome. Still, I find them more desirable than Soundgear.

I like Ibanez because their lower end stuff offers good bang for the buck and has kept many 13 year old budding bassists in business. But for their higher end stuff, you can easily get better stuff for the coin. And even with the lower end stuff, there are companies these days that offer just as much, if not more, bang for the buck than Ibanez.

And as with any mass produced bass, you get some stinkers along with the decent and good stuff, so definitely try before you buy. Still, the stuff you can get for under $500 is way better than the beginner's gear I had 10 years ago.

19. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Yer right, there are too many decisions!
    Its been a while, but it's all coming back to me. Looking forward to jammin again. Will continue searchin eBay and used bass shops for a new axe. Thanks for the recommendations. One thing fer sure, the Squier has got to go...

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1 for the TB classifieds......
    Some great honest sellers there, and some fab deals.