Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

comment on diMarzio ultrajazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garrett21, Oct 24, 2005.

1. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    i'm about to replace my washburn taurus t24's stock: ABT's with dimarzio ultrajazz set .. is this a good idea.. comments on this pickup are much appreciated..

2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    what made you pick them over the model J's?

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No. Nononono.....

They won't fit. The Washburn pups are longer, and the mounting screw "saddles" don't line up with the routing of the bass.

Measure 'em, and compare to the dimensions of the Dimarzios.... you'll see what I mean....

4. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    i am aware of the difference.. i asked if it is a problem for installing the dimarzios to my dealer (he will install the pickups) and he said that it will not be a problem..it will only be a little shorter from both sides..

5. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    and narcopolo.. i have learned that ultrajazz tone is a bit more warm and a little öore flexxible than model j's.. so i have decided on ultrajazz..

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, they are shorter in length.

But the real problem is, as I mentioned..... the four mounting shoulders on each pup don't line up with the routes on the Taurus. I have a T24, and I had a set of Dimarzio Model J's lying around, so I pulled a pickup from the Taurus to try a "test-fit". The mounting screw shoulders on the ABT pups are a good bit further apart on each long side, and the only way to install the Dimarzios would be to route the body of the bass to accomodate the outline of the Dimarzio.

If you bring it to the tech, let us know how it works out.

7. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    hmm.. that is a little annoying.. cuz i just gave the guitar to my dealer.. he said that i can get it on thursday.. we will see if it will work or not..

8. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    though i still do not understand.. these lenghts should be standard.. i have just checked out the ofiicial dimarzio site and found out that ultrajazz pickups has two models one is short and the other is longer.. as it is with the model j's.. maybe your's was the short model... i dont know actually.. he said taht he will do.. we will see.. if it wont fit i'm sure he will inform me..

9. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'll bet he hasn't looked/measured carefully; they just look like Jazz pickups, and he's expecting them to fit. Most basses use a standard size. This one doesn't.

Just make sure he knows that re-routing your bass isn't part of the deal (unless that's what you want).

10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    BTW, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I was pretty aggravated myself when I lined 'em up. :(

11. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i wish dimarzio had the mp3's like duncan does for their guitar pups. . . oh well, for an extra 20 bucks i guess i'll go for the ultrajazz's.

12. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    what is re-routing by the way?

13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Enlarging the pickup openings.... cutting away more of the wood..... probably requiring a re-finish job.....

Certainly not worth the effort on a lower-dollar bass like the Taurus.

14. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    hmm.. this is is pretty bad news indeed.. but i appreciate your warnings.. thanks pal.. i'll look into it tomarrow..

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

On a MIA Fender, the bridge pickup is a tad longer than the neck pickup, to accomodate the difference in string width.
    In other models and copies, sometimes it's the same, sometimes both are short, or both are long, or they're just completely different.

16. garrett21

garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    i talked the dimarzio dealer today..together we took the new dimarzio s and measured from above the ABT's.. yep there is a very slight difference between dimarzio's mounting shoulders and the ABT's mounting shoulders in the cavity.. then he said that it wont couse any problem, that he could close the holes for ABT screws and re-open new ones for ultrajazz pickups.. and he will slightly cut the opening for the new screws.. i have seen it with my own eyes.. it wont cost me any visual loss..he acted like the situation is totally normal.. so i gave an O.K. to him.. and i will get the guitar back on thursday or at most friday (thanks to heavens, cuz i have a gig every friday night:)) we will see if it works or not.. :meh:

17. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Good..... sounds like it may work out for you.....

We'll need a complete report..... pics would be a bonus.... :smug:

18. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Man, I hate to say this because it's the proverbial day late.

But why didn't he just take the pickup out of the DiMarzio cover and stick it in the other one? :eek:

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have the DiMarzio Model-J's in a fretless Warmoth J-style bass. They sound really thick and beefy, but I wish I would've bought the Ultra Jazz set instead for their added clarity. I'll probably take the EMG-J set out of my fretted Jazz and swap them with the Model-J's in my fretless. I'm thinking the Model-J's will work fine for my fretted Jazz.

I think you'll love the sound of the Ultra Jazz pickups when you get your bass back. Please let us all know how you like their sound.

-Art

20. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I thought about that. Even pulled a pickup and looked long and hard at it.

It probably can be done..... I simply decided that, with no correctly-sized replacements available, the risk of breaking it was to great....