1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Common university audition pieces?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Blacksheep, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    I'm just curious to know if there are certain standards or popular pieces that people play for entrance audtions. Thanks

2. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    The standard concerto repertoire (Dragonetti, Kouss, Vanhal, von Dittersdorf) or a movement from the Bach suites (Suites 1 and 3 are popular) seem to be good or required choices. Some places also ask for an etude, but that's totally wide open.

3. anything baroque is also pretty solid, Eccles, Bach, Marcello, etc. Also the Bottesini and Koussevitzky short pieces are pretty good ones, ie. Chanson Triste or Valse Miniature. Know your scales inside and out with all kinds of slurrs and rhythms.

4. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Koussevitzky and Bach seemed to be the perennial favorites this year (at least from where I went, most of our repertoire (including mine) was).

5. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Throw in some Michael Jackson basslines and you'll be gold. Beat it, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal. You know, the classics.

6. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Freebird, and Mustang Sally.

7. Cody_Gibs1

Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you audition for jazz, DON'T play Blue Bossa.

8. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    it really depends on where you're going...

I got in playing Simandl 10 and a Beethoven sonatina... and yes, I'm a music major (not a minor like many assume!)

9. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I'll second the concerto and Bach suggestions. I stuck to pretty bread and butter audition program this year...

Vanhal First movement, Prelude and Allemande from the Third Bach Suite

I didn't see any orchestral licks mentioned, and every major school will want here a few of those. Do a search but the standard licks include
    Mozart 35, 39, 40,

Beethoven 3,5,7,9

Brahms One and Two

Strauss Heldenleben, Don Juan, Zarathustra, pretty much any of the tone poems.

There are many others, but for most undergrad programs pretty much anything from that list should suffice.

10. RobinRhodes

RobinRhodes

Jun 16, 2008
    I played the first movement of the Dragonetti concerto, the first Kreutzer etude, and an excerpt from Mozart 40.

11. Did you only have to play one solo? most of the websites I've seen ask for two that contrast, or at least two movements.