1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Community Orchestras...What are you playing this year?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by NickyBass, Aug 14, 2012.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The fall season is about to start. I am curious to see what other community orchestra's are playing.

This year we are doing:

Fall:
    BERLIOZ
    Hungarian March from The Damnation of Faust
    LISZT
    Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major, S. 124
    MAHLER
    Symphony No. 1 in D Major “Titan”

Winter:
    TCHAIKOVSKY
    Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture
    FAURÉ
    Pelléas et Mélisande, Op. 80
    BERNSTEIN
    Symphonic Dances from West Side Story

Spring:
    The best of John Williams

Here is a link to the website if anyone is interested: http://www.psnj.org/

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Lucky dog! Nice programs! :hyper:

The director of the community group I sit with takes each concert one at a time- no set predetermined program for the year.

The first two or three rehearsals are purely sight reading- sometimes brutally difficult stuff he has no expectation of us being able to play- but it's a good challenge for us, and it helps him gauge where we are and what might be appropriate. Aside from the main core players that are always there, the membership seems rather fluid- so this approach allows the director to select music that plays to our strengths.

I must also add that he has impeccable taste! I truely enjoy everything he selects for us! On the few occasions he's selected works that I didn't think I'd enjoy, I would invariably find those pieces to be my "new favorites"!

I do wish he would program the season- I've told him as much. I hate it when I feel like I didn't have enough time to prepare for a particular piece...but over all I can't complain.

I'll post what we're doing as soon as I know! :D

Joe

3. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I am excited to get back to playing with them. It's nice that there are 80 musicians who all just want to play. I was having a tough time keeping a 12 piece salsa group together. It is refreshing to be part of something that is so smooth. ;)

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Isn't it funny? I've played with some...uh..."groups" that would "rehearse" regularly for months and months on end, and some members wouldn't or couldn't be bothered to learn a simple arrangement...I'm not even talking about composed parts- but chord charts!!! Simple chord charts!!! "Please, kinda play something like this..." :rollno:

Then I play with the Ballet orchestra and we nail Tchiakovsky, or Prokofiev and Berlioz after four rehearsals...:hyper:

And those other guys wonder why I'm always "busy" when they want to get together... :D

Joe

Joe

5. Boston Civic Symphony (www.bostoncivicsymphony.org) is doing Tschaikovsky Symphony #1, a world premiere of a cello concerto by Larry Bell, Lt. Kije, Hary Janos Suite, Brahms piano concerto #1, the Franck D minor symphony, plus a Christmas concert. I suppose I'll get to play the Kije solo :) which I've never played in a concert.

6. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
  7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is so true and I am excited to be joining a community orchestra for this upcoming season. :D

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Korngold Violin Concerto

Fux Overture in C
    Mozart Symphony No. 40
    Korngold Music from "Robin Hood"

9. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    You know, it's funny, some of the hardest parts look so simple. There is a 50 bar 5 octave ppp 'A' at the begining of Mahler 1. I always skipped over that part when practising, but, man, it is so hard to keep the tone even and the dynamic consistant. I think that that is the hardest part in the peice. :)

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Nicky: I hear ya. Playing feathery is not easy.

11. I play with a couple of different orchestras. In fact, I have two concerts coming up within the next week:

Festival City Symphony (Milwaukee):
    DVORAK:
    Symphony No. 9 (From the New World)
    GOTTSCHALK/KAY
    Cakewalk

Wisconsin Philharmonic (Waukesha)
    VERDI
    Sicilian Vespers
    ELGAR
    Enigma Variations
    CORIGLIANO
    Sonata for Violin and Orchestra, orchestrated from his Sonata for Violin and Piano (1963) by Martin Kennedy

12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    November Concert:

Gioachino Rossini-Overture to William Tell
    Maurice Ravel-“Mother Goose” Suite
    Michael Daugherty-Metropolis Symphony

13. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Next weekend I'm doing Franck Symphony in D minor, Saint-Saens 3rd Violin Conerto and Delius Irmelin prelude with one orchestra. Come November it'll be Dvorak Cello Concerto in B minor and Tchaik 6 with another.