Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sublimate, Jan 30, 2006.

1. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Does anyone make a compact 2x15 cab? I know that sounds like a contradiction, but I'm thinking of something like the Carvin BRX212 (one speaker facing forward and the other pointed down).
    [​IMG]
    Only with 15s and not a combo. Anyone seen such a beast?

If not, do you think it could it work? I know the volume may be a little small, but maybe with the right drivers. And it'll still be pretty heavy, but with neo magnets it might not be too bad. I think there'd be a market for those (like me) who grew up playing 2x15s but now want something more compact.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Take a look at Bill Fitzmaurice's Omni15 cab. He may be able to give you some pointers.

3. Pointing down seems dumb; why not point the speaker up?

The Berg NV215 is portable for a 215 if you can find one. I think it's like 85 lbs.

4. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I used to have an Acoustic 215 that wasn't too big. Drivers vertically aligned. Probably not big magnets so it wasn't too heavy . Wheels on the side for easy rolling. With a GK800RB it sounded pretty good.

dunc

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Not exactly what you want, but LDS (lowdownsound.com) makes a great 2x15 and 2x6 cabinet with neo drivers - $800 and 70 pounds.

6. I've sketched 2x15s w/that same(Carvin)configuration. Not to imply I'm being original, mind you, & I very rarely go beyond the dreaming/sketching stage...
    But I think that would make a nice cab- 15s for the lows, smallish box tuned for strong mids. High end? Add a 2x10.:D

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and the winner of ironic thread of the year goes to...

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does a 1967 Dual Showman with two JBL 15" D-140's count?

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ampeg made an unusual cab with either 2-12's or 2-15's, that were loaded back to back. One speaker fired out the front, and one out the rear. Very heavy cabs, but compact.

10. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I lke that carvin! i have an ampeg pr1528he that has a front loaded 2x8 on top of an angled 15" in an "scooped" type of cab. it's short, but deep and heavy. I bi-amp w/ a hartke 5000