1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Comparing Ampeg BA-115,Roland Cube100 and Hartke Kicback12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beat, Apr 10, 2009.

1. beat

beat

Sep 26, 2008
    Hi friends, this is my first post to the forum. First of all, hello to all..;,)

I'm playing bass for a couple of years. My bass is Ibanez SR-400. I'm playing in a prog rock band and sometimes I'm playing blues at home. I'd like to buy an amp for reharsing at home,sometimes at the studio and for small space gigs. I know that "sound" thing is very personal and best way is trying and playing whatever we can but I wonder guys, what do you think about if you compare these 3 amps (ampeg ba115,hartke kickback 12 and roland bass cube 100). If you can recommend other amps near that power and price range I can appreciate those ones.

Thank you for your reviews and see you again..

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First off, welcome aboard. Now, as to the amps, first thing I'd look at when buying ANY combo amp, can it take an extension speaker, and does it have a balanced XLR out. Other than that, I look for power, and a 15" speaker, (or, 2x10). I'm not sure any of the 3 you listed would pass that test. The ext spkr output is very important, because with a combo amp, the limiting factor is volume, and extra speakers make up for that. The XLR makes an easy connection to a sound board and PA system. Look for an amp that has these features, or you may wind up disappointed in your amp before very long. Good luck.

3. beat

beat

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you RickenBoogie. First of all, I live in Turkey and it's impossible to find all amp brands here. Yes, thanks to the Internet and e-commerce but shipping cost is a big problem. When I analyzed all factors one of these amps are quite good for me, at least for now. Maybe later I can buy whatever head from outside the country. About XLR out, you're right. I'm looking for that..

Thanks again..

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    In that list I'm picking the Roland. The Ampeg has "that" sound but the Roland has many faces, some great, all good, and is very well built. Built-in speaker simulation, effects, they are a blast to play and sound fantasic. A buddy of mine changes settings when he goes from his classic Fender to his hand-made, very expensive fretless and it's just so cool. Roland's effects/electronics are great, they don't sound cheap.

5. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, the Roland is probably the best and most versatile of that group, but it also appears to be the most expensive. It's a bit of a tossup between the Hartke and Ampeg. The Ampeg has the RCA input that is nice when practicing.

6. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    The Ampeg comes equipped with the XLR output, which is nice if you have PA support. I have used mine for some small gigs and the FOH engineers have never had any complaints. I use mine strictly for practice in my music room these days though. Not enough power for me except for the smallest gigs. IMO

7. I have the Ampeg and have used it on many gigs. It sits nicely in the mix. Not very loud though. No ground lift on the XLR out. I like the rock back monitor cabinet for small stages.

8. I had a Hartke KB 12 & have a BA-210sp(different amp from the BA-115 of course but likely comparable); the Ampeg slightly edges the Hartke in volume, but the Hartke is surprisingly loud considering it's power. The Hartke's weak point IMO is a very basic DI(no ground lift, pre/post or level/pad). I'd actually rather have the KB for my main gig right now(setup/teardown 1-2X weekly). I've played a few Roland bass amps & always found them boomy & not terribly powerful.

9. beat

beat

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks guys, tomorrow I'm going to try these amps with my bass..Prices are very close to the others. I'm going to pick one of them.Roland seems the most "sense" amongst them but I'm wondering the cliche "ampeg" sound.

One more question, I've heard and read that most of them are made in China. Do you think it's a problem. Or do you have any experiences with China made amps.

Thanks again..

10. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    One more thing from me beat. My Ampeg is made overseas (I believe Vietnam) and my only issue with the amp is that the tweeter must be getting loose because it has a tendancy to rattle and buzz every now and then. Kind of strange but since it really is just a practice amp for me now I haven't bothered to try and fix it.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just remember the HArtke KB has aluminum cone speaker and is very punchy
    compared to Ampeg.
    I have a Hartke KB12 and it is loud.

12. beat

beat

Sep 26, 2008
    hi again, I've bought Roland Bass Cube 100. When I evaluate all the factors and after trying I think it's the best choice for me now. I'm practicing and trying to use all the tones and combinations. After using a few days I can say, I'm glad for choosing this one.

Thanks for all the comments guys..