1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comparing Asian Made 5 string basses G&L, Lakland, and Cort?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bowedtoothdoc54, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    So I am specifically comparing the G&L Tribute 2500, the Lakland Skyline 55-01, and the Cort Artisian A5. Used they seem to be in the 500-600$ price range and looking for playing a versatility of styles. It appears that the Lakland and the Cort have almost identical electronics, but the Cort is neckthrough and the Lakland is bolt on. The Lakland is 35 scale and the other two are 34 scale. The G&L has dual humbuckers with very versatile electronics. Any thing that I have left out or any preferences as to the better choice?

2. pjbassist

pjbassist Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Never had a 2500, but foolishly sold a L-2000 after 17 years of ownership. IMO the answer is always G&L.

Mvilmany, mpdd, Frank_Raider and 7 others like this.
  3. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks for the opinion pjbassist. I probably should included top end Shecter basses in the mix like the Stiletto Studio 5 which is 35 in scale and I believe the pickups are EMG? Those basses maybe are a tier down from the other three and usually can be found for 300-400$.

pjbassist likes this.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well the Lakland has graphite supports in the neck and hipshot lite tuners. Plus all the Skylines are gone over in Chicago and pleked before going out the door. The 35" scale makes for the best playing and sounding B string in its price range IMO. I think of the three the Lakland is a better quality instrument.

mark beem, JLY, fender68 and 4 others like this.
  5. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks BB, I have heard really good things about the Skyline necks.
    I wish I had a local store to play one before purchase?

bassbully likes this.
  6. I think the G&Ls are made by Cort. Not positive though.

pjbassist likes this.
  7. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I own a Lakland 44-01, Cort Artisan C5 Plus and Cort Artisan A6 Plus. All 3 have Bartolini MK1 pickups. The 44-01 and the A6 have a Bartolini preamp (I think) where as the C5 Plus has a Markbass Pre. I played the C5 and the 44-01 for a wedding gig last weekend and they were both fantastic. I haven't been brave enough to play the 6 string at a gig yet.

That being said the Lakland has a fantastic Pleked neck. You can't beat it. The Corts also have fantastic necks, very smooth. The Lakland will come with a high gloss body. The Cort A6 (in your case the A5) will have a satin feel all over, similar to the back of a Lakland neck. The hardware on the A5 will be Hipshot....the good stuff....very high quality!

bassbully likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    The G&L Tribute has USA G&L pickups and electronics made in California. It's the last evolution of Leo Fender's pickup and bridge design legacy. Leo's evolution of bass started out with the precision, then the jazz, Then MusicMan, and finally G&L. All 3 of those basses are great products on any level.

fender68, Ikkir and jd56hawk like this.
  9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    What about the Spector Legend 5 neck-thru, Aguilar OBP-2 preamp, Aguilar pickups, 35 in. scale, graphite reinforced neck.

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Best neck on a five I have yet to play. I had never played a Skyline and was hooked minutes after I did. In three days I used it at a gig after playing nothing but fours for the last 10 years.
    I'm thinking of doing the Lakland treatment to the neck of mine but the satin finish on them is not bad at all. I just had a Aguilar OPB-2 pre installed last week and it opened the bass up allot, so much more passive and less hi-fi and brittle sounding. Mine still has the MK1 pups which I like.

11. @leegreenman
    All three are built by Cort,along with Squiers,Ibanez,Aria Pro and Spectors.

@bassbully
    There's a PLEK machine in the Cort factory.

TrustRod and Double E like this.
  12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Interesting . The pleking, setup and final inspections are done at Lakland in Chicago.

GregC and Double E like this.
  13. Would seem more cost effective doing the PLEK at the factory but doing it in Chicago does
    give Lakland final say in what basses bear their name.

I applaud them for that. Profit ain't everything.

bassbully likes this.
  14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Cort may have a Plek machine in the plant but that does not mean they use it on every instrument that passes through. As an OEM maker for many brands and models, the Plek treatment is just one item on their smorgasbord of services. The contracting company has to opt to pay the premium for Plek services. I'd venture to say most don't and if they did, I would think they'd advertise it in their marketing materials.

Lakland does their Plekking in-house and I think they may have even had their Plek machine before Cort acquired one. Once you own the machine, it's probably more cost effective to do it yourself.

bassbully likes this.
  15. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I got a Skyline 55-02 Deluxe last year and it arrived with four issues, three of which were unforgivable straight from the factory.

16. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow dude, you got some bad karma or something... I just read your thread about the Mesa cab you just got that is having some distortion issues. I decided to check your post history to see if you similarly detailed your Lakland 55-02 problems and see that you have also had problems with a new Music Man and Warwick.

All of these companies have pretty good track records with the vast majority of their new customers being quite satisfied. I feel for you man.

TMARK, pjbassist, GregC and 5 others like this.
  17. I'm going to echo the other comments here...of the three you listed I would pick the Lakland Hands down...

bassbully and RolandMHall like this.
  18. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I'm a G&L guy so that is always my first choice
    Duke

pjbassist likes this.
  19. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    Can't speak to the other two, but I have a Lakland 44-02. Compared to my MIM Jazz w/Audere preamp, there really isn't any comparison. Better neck, better tone. And Lakland takes pretty good care of their customers on the Lakland Owners Group forum. Giveaways every month for strings, pickups, etc.

20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    G&L, for sure.
    After hearing positive post after positive post about G&L for the past few years, I finally saw a new Tribute L-2000 at Robbie's Music in Wayne, NJ and simply couldn't resist plugging it in and taking it for a test drive and it really performed.
    Plenty of love for Fender basses here and the same can be said for Music Man, but if you've been around long enough you'll here this: "Leo got it right the third time around!"

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    pjbassist, Ikkir and Gizmot like this.