Compressor specifics.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el murdoque, Jun 9, 2021.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Hi all,
    I might be looking for a new compressor, to suit my specific needs:

1. It should act as a peak limiter. Therefore, it should be hard and fast, so nothing of the peak makes it through.
    2. I want as little coloration of the signal as possible. It should basically sound just as is, only less loud.
    3. I want to be able to see what's going on, so an LED meter would be nice (or some other means of showing me what's going on)
    4. 9V center negative 250mAh is what I have to power it.
    5. Real estate is limited. I'm currently using a MXR M87 Bass Compressor. The new pedal could be longer, but not much wider - top mounted jacks would allow for a wider housing.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. adipaoli89

adipaoli89

Jan 22, 2019
    Urbino, Italy
    Keeley Bassist, Becos CompIQ Mini

bassandboy and jdh3000 like this.
  3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    What’s the problem with the MXR M87 Bass Compressor you’re currently using?

el murdoque likes this.
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    rothwell maybe?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Highlighted for emphasis. Paging @scubaduba !

Riis

DrMole and scubaduba like this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Valid question!

Here's what I do: The comp sits in the FX loop of a Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe and I send my signal from there to FOH (and IEM). That means, the setting of the comp's threshold and output are what determines the overall output of my signal chain. I have maxed out attack and ratio so the compression is fast and hard, and the release setting is not crucial to my playing The thing is, however, that it is kinda crucial for me to keep my output level consistent. When my levels vary from gig to gig (and rehearsal to rehearsal) the IEM Mix goes haywire. I play reggae, so for my colleagues the bass is the instrument that needs to be well balanced in the mix. Loud enough to be driving, but not dominating.
    The M87 has those tiny knobs and the input knob is quite sensitve to the touch. A millimeter off and the mix is gone.

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ampeg OptoComp.

Markyo and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keeley Bassist

9. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Keely Bassist or Becos CompIQ Mini

10. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Markbass compressore has the light that shows you when it is engaged and has a very quiet and natural sound. Only issue is it’s quite big.

11. Soberglitch

Soberglitch

Feb 14, 2021
    Oregon
    I love this compressor. Tougher to buy than the others suggested but I can’t recommend it enough.

133677D7-A527-459B-8F8F-C7C4674603C0.jpeg

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Three’s company.
    Keely Bassist or Becos CompIQ.

el murdoque likes this.
  13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I don’t think there’s a device mentioned in this thread that I haven’t used extensively and tested. http://compressorpedalreviews.com

The Keeley Bassist or Becos CompIQ would be ideal.

14. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    You’re looking for a true peak limiter. To find one that’s transparent and fast in a pedal? Not my area of expertise but I can tell you that you’ll want to avoid optical and tube units. Something that emulates an 1176 would be a good candidate.

DrMole and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    While I love the Markbass Compressore, it would not be on my recommended list for what the OP says he is looking for.

16. I use a Fairfield Circuitry Accountant as a limiter following loud pedals. Works great for me, is teeny, and low draw.

17. Platner

Platner

May 31, 2021
    Hi, This is my first post. I am using the Cali76 that I use in my guitar rig for bass. It's doing a really nice job.

IMG_0390-2.jpg

Afc70, Fuzzbass and MynameisMe like this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You want a limiter. Not a standard compressor. Get the boss. Turn the ratio to infinite. Set your volume to compensate. 20210104_175347.jpg 20210104_175150.jpg
    I have one if you want it. Pm me

M0ses and OogieWaWa like this.
  19. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Keely bassist

20. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I suggest that you check out Compressor Reviews

This is the bass compressor guru’s review site. He reviewed most compressors there and can help you figure out what you are looking for. He also designed the Smoothie shown earlier in this thread. An awesome compressor. I have good luck with the Agulair compressor.

ezra1 and bassface69 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021