Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Gurus......HELP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Jun 8, 2004.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I get home from the gig last night and my 6 year old (who is usually pretty computer savy), in the proccess of playing games at one of his sites (cartoon network, etc.) has inadvertantly installed something called "Internet Optimizer".

As far as I can tell it's just an advertizing program that allows all these new pop-ups to appear as never before. It also kind of messed up my browser settings which I have managed to fix.

The problem is it won't let me delete it. Everytime I try (and I've tried from several approaches) I get the message:
    "Error deleting file or folder"
    Cannot delete optimize.exe : Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

I've been able to delete certain components of it but not what appear to be the two main program files.

Any suggestions?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Did you try killing it with Task Manager? Then delete?

You could also try Bazooka. You can download it over at CNET. I found IO on a buddies 'puter as well. Bazooka was the only thing that killed it for me.

Warning....Bazooka makes you manually edit your reg.

-Mike

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Task Manager is not showing it.
    As a matter of fact, I haven't seen a pop-up in a couple of hours.
    Maybe I "wounded" it. I still don't like the fact I can't delete it.
    Maybe a System Restore back to a point before my kid installed it (it's listed as "Created 6:32pm. June 6") yesterday?

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Since you apparently have Windows XP, do a system restore.

Or try downloaded Adaware at www.lavasoftusa.com .

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Is the Adaware different, better than Spybot?
    I have Spybot and it got rid of some weird stuff but the progam is still there.

I'm in the middle of a "Disk De-frag" so I will have to wait until that finishes before running the System Restore.

6. can u boot to command prompt and remove the file from command prompt?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Adaware better than Spybot. However, now that I am using Bazooka, I doubt I will use either of those other two anymore.

If the program is not showing in TM, there is a good chance you "wounded" it. I know what you mean about wanting to remove all traces from your system though. Spyware is like a starfish....cut off one leg, and it just grows back. :D

-Mike

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    If all else fails I may try that.....if I can remember how.:bawl:

9. Oh yeah, if you want to prevent this from happening again, do not use IE, use Mozilla/Opera/Firefox instead. :bassist:

10. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Adaware works great along with SpyBot. I've found that usually Adaware gets whatever Spybot doesn't, and vice versa.

I second kilwm's advice. Don't use internet explorer, get Mozilla.

www.mozilla.com

11. Oh yeah, if your 6 years old also do email, ditch Outlook too!

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks Guys, I think I got rid of it.

After my De-frag finally ended (I think I was long overdue considering how long it took. My computer is now running much faster BTW.:) )
    I did a System Restore to about 3 days ago and the program is now nowhere to be found.

:D

13. Ducksual

Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    UK
    Ooh you just reminded me I haven't defragged in ages, good plan.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I use Adaware and I find it's excellent for this sort of thing. It very rarely misses anything. If it does, my Norton Internet Security catches it when I fo a full system scan once a week.

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oh, I almost forgot,
    This was another thing this program did: It somehow turned off my Anti-Virus software and the minute I re-engaged it 4 little bugs had to be killed.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa that's nasty. Luckily I've never seen that. Though I did have one that neither Adaware or Norton could get rid of. I went to semantec's website and they recomended running the scan while in safe mode. It worked.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well,

Almost 24 hours later and everything's fine.
    No bugs and my computer is running great.
    Actually more than great. Apparently that De-Frag was long overdue.

I ran another full scan and Spybot, just to be sure, and they both came up "nada".

18. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Good deal. Glad I could contribute to helping you out.

19. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    When you can't delete something and do not want to use system restore (you lose everything added post restore point), boot to safe mode and toast it.

20. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    that is simple.. just find the file in the download manager, reveal it in the finder, and delete it. make sure that no other programs are running, you can see that in your little finder menu. now just plop it in the trash, and delete away. Dont worry about it being in other places, that is the good thing about macs... programs go exactley where they would logically go, and with only a few exceptions, where you put them.

yeah, glad i could solve your problem.
    slicks :bag: ;)