1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

computer still running slow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Right, I posted a thread up a while ago about my horribly slow computer and got some advice about clearing cookies, running virus scans and spyware scans and It did help but it's gotten really bad again, I tried running and virus scan yesterday using AVG and it took 6 hours and didn't find a thing, and I'm now running a spyware scan using spybot S&D and it's taken acouple of hours so far and it's not even half way yet and only found 2 malware things.

When it runs slowly it is worse than ever (I can type out a sentence and have to wait 5 seconds for it to appear on screen) and it goes slow easier than before.

It works fine for a few minutes when I start it up but then it goes really bad, sometimes when the internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting alot (it's wireless) it seems to start being bad then.

I can't even open task manager to see what is running, Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work, and even right-clicking the taskbar at the bottom and clicking task manager it still doesn't open up.

Any suggestions? :bawl:

Thanks for any help,
    Bass Junkie

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Based on your information, especially the fact that Spybot took a couple of hours(!) to run (and 6 hours for a virus scan?? Yikes!), I'd say your hard drive is about to go. (Don't know the specs on your PC -- CPU speed, RAM, etc. but this is based on experience. 20+ years of it.) Back up all of your files PRONTO and get yourself a new hard drive.

3. Backup everything.

Try formatting your PC.

Could he the HDD on the way out as said above. Which, as long as you have everything backed up, isnt a terrible problem. HDD's are pretty cheap these days!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Stop visiting pron sites!! :p

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've had some nastier bugs prevent my OS from doing things it needs to do in order to clean it out.

Try the cleaning process in Safe mode or try to look at your startup files in spybot and see what the heck is running in the background. Google the names of the startup files.

I'll bet you find something you don't want in there.

6. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Buy an external HDD and back up your data (which you should be doing anyway, if you care about it). Make sure you have the drivers disc that came with your computer, or at least download the appropriate drivers and back them up, too.

Now reinstall Windows with a full format.

7. Try The following

1) More RAM - a common reason why computers run slow.
    2) If you have alot of software and applications on your computer, you can usually customize (in the control panel)which programs are put on "standby" so to speak, when you start up the computer. I think by default most computer just put all software/apps on "standby" which takes up RAM and makes the computer slow.
    3) Clear Hard Disk space, and back up what you have, and delete stuff you dont need. Try a program like WinASO (i presume your using Windows). it will sort out your computer's registry files, and does all sorts of file scans to help your computer be more efficient. If you have a lot of audio and visual material (music and films) on the HArd disj transfer them to an external drive as this will free up loads of HD space.

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Maybe a stupid question (I didn't read the previous thread) but when's the last time you defragmented the hard drive?

Also, master jedi dude is right, more RAM is always a beautiful thing.

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You still got that fan monitoring s/w running? How many of those fans did you end up turning off?

-Mike

11. Thanks for all the replies people.

The fan software I decided not to use, it really didn't make that much of a difference as the fan that was loudest was where the power cable plugs in and I couldn't turn that one off.

It's been like this for over a year, so if it was the HDD going wouldn't it have gone by now?

I'm getting a laptop soon so I'm not going to be spending any money on this thing i'm more looking for something to make it useable till I get the laptop.

12. When was the last time the computer was formatted?

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    The ticket might not be just new ram, but current faulty cards or loose cards that are creating the sludge . Take any cards out and re-seat them first and check for corrosion and dust, or just replace with the max your motherboard will take regardless.

I also suggest the free trial download of regvac as it's good at cleaning up bad links and registry sludge without interfering or creating load issues.

Also remember, jesus saves, so should you.
    j

14. thats what i'd do

15. Darwin scores on the rebound :bag:

16. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
  17. LMAO!!! hahaha :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

18. When this problem first arose I re-formatted the pc and re-installed windows, and I also defragged and that didn't help.

10oo7cn.

Thats the screenshot from my start-up, in an information thing at the side it actually says that some are viruses, so should I uncheck the boxes for them? Also for the ones that has no information, which bit should I be googling?

Does anyone have any thoughts on not being able to open task manager?

19. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    TBH, get rid of windows and install Ubuntu. Ubuntu puts life into older computers and makes them useable again. Heck, I think it was Ernieball who completely ditched their Windows contract or something (due to finding out they were breaking the law, and paying hefty fines) And moved to ubuntu. They saved a bunch of money becasue they were able to use the older boxes they had lieing around instead of buying new ones.

Sure there are some things you'll have to get used to, and many things you'll have to figure out how to do, but at the end of the day, you'll have a reliable computer system, and a faster one at that too. I've been running Ubuntu on my IBM T42 for a year now, and I have very few complaints, certainly less than I had with XP, not even vista. Missing DLL files are a thing of the past for me. There are zero viruses out here for linux (well none that i knowof, but i haven't exactl been looking for them).

If you have any questions ubuntu has setup a nice forum where people can post questions and such.

20. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Slackware-Linux-10-2-Is-Launched-2.