Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer studio...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FenderBassp, Jul 2, 2005.

1. FenderBassp

FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
    Ok, I'm going to buy a laptop, a decent sound card and a preamp. Maybe a sampler later. Can anyone suggest some decent equipment. I want a Mac 8,at least 14 gb, at least 128mb and for my soundcard I want a onboard synth. I have no clue about the preamp so can someone helpme out I'm a noob at recording.

2. FenderBassp

FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, first off if your doing sound stuff you want lots and lots of RAM. If you have enough, get a G5. I also would say, get a laptop if you really need it.

If your going to do some recording stuff, you'll need a full duplex sound card with zero latency. lots of ram as i said before, 512mb. Nothing else is needed really. Apart from Logic (the program)

4. FenderBassp

FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
    yes laptop is the way to go.. What kind of sound card would i Need? I have no clue... and is a sampler really needed?

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    No, a sampler is not really needed--there's plenty of software, for plenty of OS's, from freeware to $$$$ programs, that will act just like a sampler. Just make sure you have enough RAM to trigger samples. I made do with 256 megs or less for years, but I DID upgrade as soon as I could, and most people will tell you that 512 is a minimum.

6. I know what you mean...

I've got a laptop (1.2ghz, 40g hd) and it had windows 2k pro on it (NOTHING WORKS ONN IT! right?) so I install winXP - only to find I haven't got enough ram in to use it WITH protools (had a 128mb and a 256mb stick in) - I had to get another 256 to replace the 128 - it runs fine now