1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Confession Time: I Am In Lust - With A SAMICK!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Mar 19, 2017.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Feel free to discuss...:roflmao: :bassist:

Samick Valley Arts Pro Shop 1999 Red Burst

To put it in a little more in context:

1. I have been wanting to try a bass with a PJ configuration for awhile now

2. I love translucent finishes (cherryburst being a fave) that show off nice wood grains

3. I really like black-painted headstocks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    5below likes this.
  2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

3. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I actually agree with you, if I were to make an offer, I'd do exactly that - make the seller an offer...not sure I'd be willing to pay the asking, especially since I am in Canada, so there'd be the shipping and import charges to factor in as well...:sour:

MEKer and rbuchholz like this.
  4. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    To each their own :vomit:

;)

allenhumble likes this.
  5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    :roflmao:

6. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    This thread is definitely a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I hope the title makes clear, so I'm certainly not going to be offended by anyone who doesn't think this bass warrants any real interest...I get that Samicks (even the "in conjunction with Valley Arts Guitars" models) aren't exactly considered top of the line...:D

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Offer $100, if you dare.
    The one Samick bass I tired was noisy, not only the bridge pickup, but also the precision style pickup, which I found odd.

I'm not understanding why there's a coll tap switch.

[​IMG]

Growlmonkee likes this.
  8. My one Samick I own is a lovely instrument. Nice tone, good balance, 5 strings and 24 frets and light in weight.

gebass6 likes this.
  9. They put a lot of effort into this line, so the bass is no joke. I haven't priced them used so I have no idea what fair market street value is these days. It's in a strangely form fitting "Charvel" hardshell. Anyone serious about this bass could do a lot worse, make an offer and see what happens.

For reference:

Samick Valley Arts Custom Pro Shop Bass Guitar Cherry Burst

LiquidMidnight and HubbardsFate like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yuck, that^ binding is ugly. The one in the OP is much better looking.

[​IMG]

11. The listing has ended. I merely posted it for price reference.

12. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Busted! :D

Yeah, these Samick/Valley Arts have been on my radar for awhile now as a "if the right one comes along at the right price" kind of a thing. I'm sure some folks would tell me to bite the bullet and save up for an actual Valley Arts model - and there is at least one of those on Reverb right now, but it's priced over a thousand dollars more than the Samick model...not sure I could justify that price discrepancy, plus, the Valley Arts is a 4, and my somewhat monstrous hands prefers the extra width/radius that most 5ers offer...:cigar:

13. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    P pickup too close to the neck

Axstar, mngnt, bassbooty and 4 others like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    nothing wrong with the pickup location
    RIC puts them right at the neck

[​IMG]
    and they only have 20 frets

I realize that, but...
    It might be from the same custom shop & have a similar finish, but almost everything else about it is different.

pickups, bridge, 5 strings vs. 4

OTOH, you're probably right, & the one in the OP is a bit overpriced :cool:

15. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    I once saw a folk trio where the bass player played a PJ Samick...can't remember the exact model. But damn...It had the most lovely and woody tone. I was quite surprised, actually.

HubbardsFate likes this.
  16. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The bass is nice looking, skeptical about exactly what the "coil tap" switch really does, doubtful that both pickups are coil tapped, and everything is made simple on one push pull switch.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Looks like a nice bass. I don't dig the pickup spacing. That P pup needs to be closer to the bridge. Can't comment on the price. I have no experience what they are worth.

18. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeah...the "actual" Valley Arts PJs (one of which is on Reverb right now) have the P pickup back closer to the bridge. I'd be kinda curious to know why the models they did with Samick have that pickup closer to the neck...

19. Scott C.

Scott C.

Nov 24, 2014
    Washington, USA
    My guess is that it isn't really a coil tap and the owner just doesn't know what it does. The bridge pickup is already a single coil, and if you split the neck pickup, you'd only get half the strings, so....