1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Congratulations John Myung!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Leftybass12, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
  2. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I saw that and promptly stopped caring after seeing that Cliff Burton was above Jaco Pastorius.
    And if Paul Gray wasn't dead, he wouldn't have cracked the top 100. Just a survey by people who don't know anything about music.
    I'd put Myung in the top 25, certainly - but not number 1.

3. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    For those of you who don't feel like clicking through the madness, here's the list.

1. John Myung
    2. Geddy Lee
    3. Paul Gray
    4. Steve Harris
    5. Cliff Burton
    6. Jaco Pastorius
    7. Flea
    8. John Entwistle
    9. Victor Wooten
    10. Paul McCartney
    11. Billy Sheehan
    12. John Paul Jones
    13. Les Claypool
    14. Chris Squire
    15. James Jamerson
    16. Jack Bruce
    17. Bootsy Collins
    18. Phil Lynott
    19. Mark King
    20. Nathan East
    21. Aston "Family Man" Barrett
    22. Mani
    23. Carol Kaye
    24. Doug Wimbish
    25. Joseph "Lucky" Scott

:eyebrow:

:rollno:

4. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    I'm completely with you on the Cliff Burton and Jaco thing and I am highly against that vote...and yes if Paul Gray wasn't dead he definitely wouldn't have cracked the top 100...it also goes to show that once a famous person dies they instantly go into immortality and become astronomically overrated. I know both Cliff and Jaco are dead, but Cliff has nothing on Jaco...and there's a very good reason as to why Jaco is still revered as an excellent musician...no I don't feel Jaco is overrated. With John Myung getting the top spot it's just that I'm a very big Myung fan and was extremely shocked to see that he got number 1.

5. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm just saying that Jaco was a better musician than Cliff. Both were good at what they did, both were great showmen who died before their time was up, but to put Cliff above Jaco is just :scowl:
    And to put Paul Gray above Les Claypool? What?

Also, notably absent from the list: Billy Gould, Tony Levin, Trevor Dunn, Michael Manring, Jeff Berlin...

RickyT likes this.
  6. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Oh yeah, you're completely right...I am very shocked by the list and was very very very surprised the other names you mentioned were not in there...especially Manring...that guy is a musical genius and his work is phenomenal.

7. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    oh, and where is Sting!?

8. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    +1

9. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    +1
    Trust me, I've said it like 2 times already, but I'm very shocked and as you're naming off other players I'm becoming more and more upset about the list as a whole.

10. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Pino Palladino?
    Larry Graham?
    JMJ?
    Stanley Clarke?
    Steve Bailey?
    Janek Gwizdala?
    Dave Pomeroy?
    Lee Sklar?
    Michael Rhodes?

That list is ridiculous!

11. bottomzone

bottomzone Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing ot Waste! :cool:

12. Three reasons why lists of "the greatest ever" should be banned from music forever:

1. Music is not a competition.
    2. Music is not a competition.
    3. Music is not a competition.

Lists like these are bullschlitz. 'Nuff said.

bholder likes this.
  13. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    And Mark Sandman?

14. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I know I am going to get slammed for this, but I actually haven't heard Jaco Pastorius play, recording or otherwise. I see the name quite often and want to check him out. Cliff OTH, I have heard plenty of. Good isn't always about technical proficiency in my mind, hell I like Cliff Williams better the Cliff Burton, and Geezer Butler better than both of those.

BTW, who is John Myung?

Edit...Looked the guy up. Dream Theatre - great progressive metal band, though I can't name a single one of them off the top of my head.

15. Acrimonus

Acrimonus

Jan 18, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I think once you get to a certain point on the list it's all down to preference. I could go as far to say as anything above 8 on a top 25 list could all be bassists of very comparable ability or influence. That being said Paul Gray doesn't belong on this list.

As for the people getting their panties in a wad about Jaco not being on the top of the list or especially being lower than Cliff Burton is there a problem? This is about influence as much as ability and groove. I hadn't even heard of Jaco until I started reading Talkbass but I heard about James Jamerson, so don't blame it on my preference for metal.

In the top 8 in no particular order I would put James Jamerson, Jaco, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Les Claypool, Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten, John Myung. Again in no particular order. You can see my musical bias in there though.

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Like all 'top ___" lists, it's a great conversation starter.
    Not much more.

17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    This sums it up nicely.
    It also happens to be one of my most common comments.
    Not knockin' anyone on the list, great players all, better than me for sure, just saying that 'best' doesn't mean a lot in an artistic context.

18. Rick Nicak

Rick Nicak

Dec 18, 2009
    Cincinnati OH
    HA!!!!

John Myung as the "Greatest Bassist"...

HA!!!

What a joke

19. Acrimonus

Acrimonus

Jan 18, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Because we definitely don't compete with other bands for gigs, we don't compete with other bassists for spots in good bands, we don't compete with other bands for production labels.

Right.

Everything is a competition. That's the way life is, but this list does suck and everything above top 10 should really be a wash anyway between ability and influence.

20. Acrimonus

Acrimonus

Jan 18, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't bash him, he's a great bassist, him making number one is not as insulting as having Les Claypool and James Jamerson not make top 10 and Paul Gray being on the list at all. Focus your rage there.