1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Connect 2-4ohm cabs into my R1000 basshead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zeus_Mutation, May 23, 2012.

1. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    I guess I'm just dumb. I've read what I could find but still feel confused as to the best way to connect my speakers to my bass head.
    my Carvin R1000 Redline
    So I thought I need to send a 4ohm worth of power to my 4ohm speakers? The bridge area on my R1000 has me questioning ... I plug each speaker cab into the 1/4" jack labeled bridge but i DON'T press the bridge button??? guessing its in "full-range" mode?
    How do I connect this set up best?
    Carvin R1000 Redline
    Carvin two-BR115 600w Speaker Cabinet
    Do I use the single 2ohm channels for each cab separately?
    Or the 4ohm setting bridged... daisy chain the speakers or not? I'm running around in circles here. I'd appreciate any help you can share.
    Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    some info

Attached Files:

3. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    You should download the amp instruction manual from Carvin. According to the manual, you cannot run two 4 ohm cabinets daisy chained together or your amp will shut off and go into the protect mode. You can only run two 8 ohm cabinets connected that way for a total impedance of 4 ohms.

4. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    +1

Just plug one cab in to each side. Thats still 700w

5. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Carvin manual says no. You can run each cabinet in the bi-amp mode which means one 4 ohm cabinet off each seperate amp.

6. One cab per channel, do not bridge or the amp will cook. Looking at the last pic it puts 250w per channel at 4ohm. So 500w total. Plenty enough to get the best of most cabs. Wear earplugs.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    One cab per channel run full-range. Do not bridge and do not bi-amp in your situation.

8. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks a Bunch Everyone!!!

9. You can biamp it if you like, it won't be nearly as loud but it may sound cleaner.

10. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    I have run 4 and 8 ohm cabinets biamped with a RL 600,and or a RL 1000 without any problems ever. Take it from a guy that probably has more Carvin gear than I know what to do with. Never cooked one of these amps. They are built like a tank!

11. Biamping is not the same as bridging amp channels, no need to confuse the guy.

12. Out of interest what is the other cab?

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I gigged the R600 regularly for quite a while. The bi-amping is great if you've got the cab compliment to make the most of it. Regular bass cabs are not that compliment. Talking subs + tops, PA style there, or something like a 215/218 bass cab on lows + 210 and tweeter on highs or something. With regular bass cabs, you'll get the most out of the rig running them all full range.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I ran mine with Carvin 15 + 210 setup and it was always way ballsier running both full range. Nowdays, I know a little more about what I'm doing, and biamp all the time....using 212's and a 6.;)

15. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    I ran a RL118 and an RL410. Sounded pretty great.

16. OP is still annoying his neighbours.

17. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    both cabs are BR115's I plugged one into the 4ohm 1/4" input and it sounds pretty good. Loud enough to be heard with my acoustic drums finally. I'll be picking up the other cab on friday. Planned on plugging it into the second 4ohm 1'4" jack.

Before getting the BR115 I was using a 300w Harke 1x15" cab. I see now it was 8ohm and we had it plugged into 2ohm bi-amp. It sounded weak. I see now I should have used the 4ohm amp choice

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you were running one cab with the amp set to biamp, you were neutering half your sound. Set it to fullrange, run one 15 on each side, set their levels equally and see what you think.

19. Zeus_Mutation

Zeus_Mutation

Feb 6, 2010
    full range setting w/speakers connected to the 2ohm BiAmp outputs right?

20. Yeah. There are two amplifiers inside. They are bridgeable but not with your cabs. Very few cabs would suit that application of the amp.

The signal which goes to those amps can be split into highs and lows by engaging biamp mode. Otherwise they get the same full range signal. This gets the most volume possible from your cabs.