Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

connect two heads !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kolkoz, Dec 18, 2003.

1. kolkoz

kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    FRANCE
    Hi !
    I would like to know if it's possible to connect two heads together...
    I have a Hartke HA3500 and a Ashdown ABM500 and a bergantino HT322 cab (4ohms)
    Thank you for your help and sorry for my english.

2. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Do NOT connect two heads to one cab. You'll wreck the output circuitry of both heads.

You can take a line/DI out of one head into the other (preferably into the FX return / line in socket, otherwise keep the gain control very low) and connect each head to a separate cab.

3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Series. Run a speaker out jack of the first amp (hopefully, solid state)into the instrument input of the second amp. Now you have a really hot preamp. There should be alot of unwanted noise. And, the second amp might fail at some point. But, you have to ask yourself... - "What would Jimi do"?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    NEVER, I repeat NEVER DO A STUPID THING LIEK THAT.

Line out -> Line in

or FX send (amp1) -> FX return (amp2)

You also cannot use 2 head with one cab.

5. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    kolkoz listen to JMX and me. Shane will cost you lot of money:spit:

6. kolkoz

kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    FRANCE
    Thank you very much for your help !

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    smoke.. smoke.. smoke.. BOOM!!!

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Vanselus, you forgot all the little :bawl: :eek: :bawl: after that comment.:D

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That all depends on why you blew them up, right? :D

10. If your amp has a slave out. How do you connect to another amplifier?

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can I ask why you want to connect 2 heads together? If we know the basis of your problem, we can offer viable solutions. TBer's are good with that stuff.

12. Well I have a Mesa 400+ and a Mesa D-180 and I was just curious if I could hook them up to one cab each, by using the slave out. I own a split 1/4 inch Y cable and thats the easiest solution I know. But I was wondering what a slave out does. Not that I would ever use it, but it would be fun to find out.

13. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I think a "slave out" is what you are looking for. Plug that into the Effects loop Return of the second system.

Is it safe?

14. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    A slave out would go into a power amp (or power amp in of a head). I believe a true series return also works so you bypass the pre. What you don't want to do is pre-amp a pre-amp.

Some run a set of speakers with a head/amp and then go slave out or pre out, to a power amp or power amp in of a head. Then the second amp is running another set of speakers. The second is just power. The pre-amp (tone control) is from the first amp.