1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

consistent sound

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by leftiebass, Aug 12, 2012.

1. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    I have had two people tell me that my sound is not consistent and I am wondering how to work with it. They both said that I drop out sometimes.
    In the past people used to tell me to turn up and I have done that. I think that I play with enough volume overall. There are times in a song where I like to play softer to switch the emphasis to the vocals or other instruments (we are a 3 piece guitar keyboard and bass) - no drum. I want to sort this out and get it behind. Any tips on how to practice and get through this.
    if you want to say - just turn it up - did deeper!

2. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Its possible that you are fighting with the keyboards for space in the frequency bandwidth. It could just be a matter of EQ adjustment to solve the problem or maybe the keys need to stop stepping into your range.

3. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    ...Or maybe your band needs to discuss volume based dynamics. ;)

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you inadvertantly scoop the mids, you will virtually disappear from the radar as you work in the higher registers. Example: an improperly adjusted BDDI will do this in a heartbeat. I have one (and use it) and speak from experience.

Riis

5. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    scoop the mids - you mean boost the hi mids will make me drop out?

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    By scoop, I mean attenuate (decrease) the low and high mids...your results may vary. What often sounds great solo'd or full in the lower registers may lose presence in the context of a full band mix. As mentioned in another thread or two, I set my EQ balance while thumping the A note / D string-7th fret.

Edit: If you're engaged in "sonic wars" with competing instrumentation, it becomes a no-win situation.

Riis

7. if you scoop the mids its the bass won't drop out...and if it does then everything else in the mids will too...doesn't make sense...

8. Yeah my guess is the keyboard player is taking your space Keyboards fill a lot of ranges so I think you should record yourselves and play it back so everyone can hear who is stepping on you usually if bass and keyboard are in the same band a understanding keyboard player knows how to flirt in the bass sonic space without taking you out of the mix when all else fails duct tape his left hand to his forehead ha ha ha

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not sure if I understand the above.

The bass's "presence" in any given mix is pretty much defined by the character of the low-mids and high-mids. That's why you'll find many bassists recommend preserving or boosting in the ~250 hz range as opposed to 80 hz.

Riis

10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Sounds as though Big_Daws is thinking about what would happen if you strapped an eq across the entire band mix and applied broad-Q mid-cut. Zooberwerx, OTOH, is speaking specifically of how the bassist is setting eq on his own amp.