1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

consolidating and downsizing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass7858, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Would like you guys opinions and recomendations
    I been playin bass for 38 yrs and been thru quite a few amps. Some of the standards and quite few attempts at hi-fi.
    The past 5 yrs i quit horse trading.
    For practice i have a small 1 x 10 peavey thats pretty basic and simple. Gets a decent tone and good volume for lite/acoustic rehearsals. I'll keep it.
    For small to medium gigs i have a 2 x 10 fender 250 watt rms combo that also is decent for me. Not totally the mack but i've made do with it. Gets good lows/mids/highs, but u do have to give it a good adjust every gig.
    For big gigs I ALWAYS loved an svt tuber with 8 x 10's. When I got ready to buy one I swung by a non-AMPEG dealer. He showed me a Hartke 5500 with an 810 bottom. I demo'd it and was pretty impressed by the sound and adjustabilty of it, so it came home with me. It has never disappointed me.....and my bandmates always get an evil scowl on when they see it sliding out the back of my pickup. YES!!! IT WILL bury all of them.... the drummer, a keyboard using various synths and a b-3/leslie and a hot gui**** using a Fender Hot Rod Deville (which is a very LOUD but small gui**** amp).
    Now at 51 and counting i no longer have the size envy thing working for me.
    I believe after reading here on tb that i can do away with a lot of extra baggage.
    I have 2 fender basses. Both r passive. (1-4 string 1-5 string low b) After doin active for about 10 yrs and numerous dead batteries at a bad time stories i just went back to passive a couple years ago. I use round wound strings.
    Lets just say as general rule I like my tone to be deep and full, not much bloom at the bottom though. Tite punchy midrange and crisp treble. ( like my pops to snap!)
    What I would like to do is sell my 2x10 combo and 8x10 bottom and thereby get something along the lines of Schroeder 1212 lite, or something similar and power it with my hartke 5500 head until such a time I can sell it and get a small but powerful head. U guys seem to have a lot of experience so please tell me....is it possible to get that 810 experience out of one of todays small miracle boxes?
    thanks for any input.
    donnie

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi bass7858.

With respect, the use of open-spaced paragraphs would've made your post easier to read, and thus more likely to attract the interest of someone other than a grammar grump. :eyebrow: :)

--------

The 8x10 experience is unlikely to be found in substantially smaller cabs which employ a different design involving far fewer drivers.

Instead, I'd expect that a decent 2x12" neo cab (like this one), would yield its own musical articulation and depth by the virtue of a line array driver arrangement (for superior off-axis dispersion of mids & highs), coupled with a good box size (for a full bottom).

3. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I get along fine with the MarkBass CMD121p COMBO. It can sound good in a living room, and still get loud enough for all but the biggest gigs. If it's not enough you could always have one of the MarkBass New York 12" extension cabs on standby.

No it's not an Ampeg 8x10, but at only 29 pounds, it's wonderful wonderful wonderful. I downsized from a GK 700RBII + double Aguilar 2x10s and I don't miss the old rig at all.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't sell your big stuff just yet. I downsized and turned around in a few months and upsized again. It just isn't the same to downsize. It's more convenient for sure, and if you run everything through the PA, it can be debatable whether it makes a difference to have the big stuff, but I'm about to go take an SVT/810 to a gig in a medium sized bar because it makes a difference, not only to me but to everyone else in the band, and quite a few people in the crowd who have commented on the difference.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll agree with Jimmy, keep the 810, nothing else will sound like that. But you could sell you 210 combo, and buy yourself a good 212. That way you have options with your head. That's what I'd do anyway. I have a 215 for my big cab, and another whole rig, (15/210) that stays home. Had a nice 212 but sold it, now I'm looking for another one. A good 212, (many to choose from) is by far my favorite stand alone cab, fairly light, and plenty of kick.