Constant dead E string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RandomBox, Dec 28, 2013.

1. This has been an ongoing issue. Everytime I get a new pair of strings, they sound fine and punchy. But after a while the E string just sounds dull and flat, even when the others are still bright sounding.

This has happened with Rotosounds, TI flats, and D'addario roundwounds (happened only after a week on the D'addarios)

Is there any way to prevent this? I've tried cleaning the strings after everytime I play, and washing my hands before playing. But everytime its just the E string that sounds dead, none of the others.

2. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    Have you tried adjusting the height of your PUPs? Maybe it's not the strings

3. Register_To_Disable

4. I've tried lowering the string closer to the pickups and it still sounds dull/not as bright.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Tell us more about your string installation technique(s). Installing a good string on a bad set-up (including lack of witness points, poorly cut nut slot, etc) will kill your tone in no time.

Riis

6. Monster Truck

Monster Truck aka: Uncle Kenny Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Are you playing a short scale?

7. It happened on my rickenbacker, and it was professionally set up.

8. Nope. A rick 4003, fender, and a fretless, all normal scale.

9. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Try some different brands, some manufacturers use a larger core wire for the Low E which causes tonal disparity to the rest of the set.

10. I've tried 4 already, and moneys kinda tight so I can't keep switching strings.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ask your tech. FWIW, "professionally set up" doesn't hold a lot of water IMO. I've seen some real botch jobs.

The same questions that I posed earlier should be addressed when you take it back...or you can answer them yourself. You do change your own strings, correct?

Riis

12. Once I had 5 packs of Rotosound flats all with dead E. It was the strings, cos the next 5 packs were fine. So it does happen.

I doubt your setup would be so bad that would cause the E string to sound dead. Not sure if setup can do it at all.

You mentioned D'addarios, they can die pretty quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised here. The E string would be the first to go. Rotosounds can vary, but flats go quite dull after a few days of playing (that's why Steve Harris always puts a fresh pack). So if you want a zingy sound from them you'll be up for some expenditure.

Are you sure that what you are observing is abnormal? The E string is usually not as bright as the others possibly due to a different core as markanini pointed out.

Have you tried different bass or different amp?

13. I use Elite Stadiums now because i had quality issues with rotosound. The Elites are definately the best strings ive ever used and a damn lot cheaper.

14. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Seriously, Are you playing the other strings?

15. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Is your E tapered? And is it as tight as the rest of the set?

16. mickster2

mickster2

Mar 14, 2012
    Try lowering the *pickup* on the E side. If its too close it will choke the string and can reduce volume.

This is unlikely to be a string issue as you've tried so many sets. Eliminate that and you're left with setup, amp EQ'ing and psychoacoustics (ie new strings sound zingy & brite cos they're different; when you get used to them you stop noticing the zing).

17. Again, it happens on all 3, I tried lowering the pickup yesterday and still it sounds dead. Even after weeks its just the E string, none of the others.

18. Yep, and the E string still always goes dead quickly.

19. I do now. When I first started playing again last year I had a tech do it, but now I string them myself.

20. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Most string sets have a duller sounding E string, I remember Circle K's sounding consistent all over though.

21. mickster2

mickster2

Mar 14, 2012
    In which case see my 2nd para. You're left with installation / setup, an amp EQ issue or else it's in yer head ;)

- Twisted string when installing?
    - Pickup issue on bass?
    - Are you using the same rig / playing in the same space each time?

Look for the common denominator. It's not the strings if you're getting the same issue across multiple brands / types.

hth