Constructive Critisicm Wanted :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DiG, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,
    My band recently has done some, *OK* recordings, of our original songs. We haven't had much critique aside from our friends.

If anyone could take a listen to a song or two and give your opinion, that would be greatly appreciated.

Heres the link:
  2. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Well your all in tune with each other...

But all these bands sound exactly the same to me regardless of the heaps of different names they give it for fashions sake...still not to go on about a miserable git

Your singer needs to try sounding like himself, rather then everyone else,
    Your bass needs to be turned up, the line your playing in 'Mr Pink' in my opinion should stand out in track alot more,
    Drummer could do a little less with the cymbal, alot less actually.
    The guitar? Tell him to shut up, you cant hear the bass man!

But hey, im no great musician, my bands crap, and this aint my type of music - but i dont like to see a thread go unanswered...

So i hope this was in someway contructive, and keep plucking man! :bassist:

Best of luck with it
  3. Cut your hair hippie! :D

Just kidding.

But, the above advise is good.
  4. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I agree with the previous suggestions
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I agree with those statements too... if it was recorded on a track recorder, you'd get a lot more out of the editing process...
  6. Thanks a lot for the comments guys.
    Any further advice/comments/feedback/critique by anyone is greatly appreciated

Thanks again
  7. Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    Where did you record this? To be honest, the mix isn't too good: the power chords on the rhythm guitar just overpower everything, and the only other thing you can hear well is the hi-hat. The singing is totally drowned out. I know this sort of music is meant to be bassy, but not so much you can't hear the singer.

Another thing you might want to work on is your timing - I don't know if it's intentional, but you seem to speed up and slow down a lot, especially when you're moving onto different sections of the songs. In the short term if you want to record, maybe you should see about a click track. They're painful - oh how I know that - but if you can get into one it might improve your sound.

Finally... you can ignore this one if you want, because this isn't my sort of music and I'm probably talking out my arse here, but it sounds like you just stuck a load of random bits together to make your songs. A bit of editing might not go amiss.

Hope I didn't spoil your day. :bag:
  8. It was a cheap $100 recording so we could listen to and improve our tracks. You didn't spoil my day at all, actaully I'm quite happy to get any feedback positive or negative on the songs in hopes to be able to improve them/improve our writing in the future.
  9. Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    Ah well, as long as I didn't put you on a downer or anything.