1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Contemporary Chamber Music...

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by BGreaney, Mar 29, 2006.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, the contemporary ensemble director asked me for some thoughts on pieces I might be interested in playing next year. So far, I've suggested the Kurtag Baggatelles for flute piano & db. I was wondering if I could get thoughts on chamber pieces people have played that have been written in the past 50 years. Thanks.

2. Dude. Lucy and the Count by Jon Deak. I have no idea where to get the sheet music, but it's freaking awesome.

3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    What's the instrumentation?

4. String quartet + bass. It's not very serious, but there is real music in it and isn't particularly easy. There's a fair bit of narration and play-acting involved, as well as optional costume-wearing, but I greatly enjoyed seeing Jeff Bradetitch perform it a number of years ago.

Should also mention, the parts are intended to be gender-specific. The bassist needs to be a guy, or it doesn't make very much sense.

5. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    i suppose that rules out this piece.

6. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm gonna karate chop you in the ovaries. :ninja:

lol seriously though...has anyone played any chamber music by Scelsi? I played Anahit last year, but that wasn't really too challenging.

7. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    Never played Scelsi's chamber music, but this is a piece that's quite Scelsi-esque - it's got all that unison, spectral / timbral kind of stuff in it:

Claude Vivier: Et je reverrai cette ville etrange
    trumpet, 2 percussion, piano / celeste, viola, cello, bass.

Published by Boosey, I think. IMHO it's a meaty bass part too.