1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

converting my old 15 to a 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coop Soup, May 10, 2010.

1. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I have an old Peavey 15 that I picked up in about 1993 and it has pretty much sat around for the past few years. I was thinking of trying to breath new life into it by pulling the front and replacing the 15 with 2 12 in speakers. If space permits, do you guys think this is feasible, or will there be other issues to consider?

2. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    what cab is it, some of the peavey 115s are mammoth cabs and might be a bit big for 12's. i think i figured my tvx a little over 6cf. thought a 3015 lf might sound nice in one though.

3. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    You need to match speakers with their optimal cabinet designs/volumes per the specs. There's alot that goes into it; it's never as simple as just throwing speakers into a box.

4. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I figured this might be the case.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    We hear that a lot around here but ... many manufacturers seem to have been doing exactly that for a long time ...

If the low's on the cab are OK, then I might consider re-doing the crossover - or installing one and then adding a 6" to get better definition in the mids. That would be a lot less work than pulling the baffle' out and retrofitting a new one... Probably it would sound better too.

If the 15 is tired, then knowing the internal volume of the cab and having a rough idea of the dimensions can get you inthe bal park of what will work replacement driver wise. The new Eminence 30xx series drivers are pretty forgiving volume & port wise.

Either than or just be done with it and start a fEarful ...

6. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    OP - can you tell us, more or less, what the internal dimensions of the cabinet are?

7. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I'd estimate the cab at just under 6 cubic feet.

internal dimensions (my best guess) - 23" wide x 25" high x 18" deep

8. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    It appears that my 1x15 is nearly identical in size to an Eden 2x12.

9. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Yes, the 15 is very tired. I ran it hard from 1993 to about 2003.