1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convince me to join the low end?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jreme, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ESP B-50

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Ibanez GSR200

29 vote(s)
    80.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jreme

jreme

Mar 18, 2011
    Okay so recently I posted a thread asking what the best newb basses were. (I'm gonna decide between the GSR200 and ESP B-50, don't suggest to me to buy anything else, it's final.) But lately i've been having second thoughts and thinking I should just spend the money on an electric guitar instead. I love the low end, and im aware that bassists are in demand waay more than guitarists...

but bass just seems a tad boring to me, maybe once I start playing it will be different, but.. Also, there's just something about guitar that is alluring (maybe the two extra strings? :p ). I play acoustic now so it seems like the bandwagon approach. ;) I don't want to start playing bass just because its not guitar.

PLEASE, can anyone convince me otherwise? If I can get experienced bassist's views on the situation, it would help a lot.

2. lyency

lyency

Jun 22, 2010
    Memphis, TN USA
    forget it

3. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    They make six string basses, ...just saying

4. +1

If you think bass is boring before you even start and want to play bass just because you want to be more "in demand" dont bother!

5. Trying to determine whether this is just a troll/flame thread by the OP.

If you're actually serious, why the preconceived notion that bass is boring? Have you listened to or watched all players? Bored because you feel there's no challenge? Check some of players whose playing would make your head spin.... Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Bill Dickens - the list can go for miles but you get the point.

If you want 6 strings, the same option is available for the bass. I own a 4-, 5-, 6-, and 7-string bass. You should be equally proficient on the bass regardless of string number. What if you're used to the 7-string and someone asks you to substitute for their player with only a 4-string?

And really, if you're still considering electric guitar with the budget range of a GSR200 or ESP B-50, I can't imagine you're going to end up with anything that will keep you interested.

6. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    The Ibanez, bitch.

7. The situation is that you have no compelling desire to play bass. As Ginger Baker wrote, "do what you like".

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    +1. If you already have the "bass is boring" notion in your head before you've even started, then you're already doomed, and buying a bass would be a waste of your time and money.

9. You have to go with what pulls your heart strings.

For me, I started on guitar. Hated it. Traded it in on a bass for sh*ts and giggles. As soon as I plugged the bass in, i was hooked. Never considered another guitar since. Go with what's in your soul.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I think your initial instincts are correct and you should stick with gui****.
    Bass IS terribly boring, and you are dead wrong about the demand...
    Over the last 30 years our field has become both swamped and competitive. Look at Craigslist-i see dozens of bassists my age with chops, experience tallent and drive advertising weekly looking for paying work.
    There is absolutely little room in a field so boring and competitive and so topheavy with dedicated bozos like me...for bored superstars like you who will suck up paying gigs until you are bored and ruin the gig through bad attitude and poor work ethic.
    I assure you that your initial instincts were correct about boredom-bassists love what we do, and don't want gui**** attitudes to sully a respectable field and endeavor.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It sounds like you don't have your mind made up yet, and your passion is misplaced. True, bassists are in demand, but that doesn't mean you can compete with bassists who take their instrument seriously and are pursuing a career with that instrument. If you want to play guitar on the side while playing bass as well, nobody is going to chase you with pitchforks and torches (I guarantee you that at least half of us on here could pick up a guitar and play SOMETHING), but don't get into this because you think its an automatic ticket into a band, because its not.

Trust me, it's better to play something you love in a band than be stuck in a role because it's "needed". I played rhythm guitar in a band one time and did some lead work, it was ok but the bassist just didn't have a solid foundation and it threw us all off. Picking a bass back up in that band was like getting a kiss from your favorite ex-girlfriend from high school (don't ask, its a long story lol). There's plenty of time to be miserable in your life, make sure you enjoy it when you're making music. :bassist:

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Dude, go find a guitar forum.

13. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Troll. Why should we convince someone to play when it will create more competition?

14. yknow out all of my friends that play music theres 3 bassits and two guitarists.......we need less bassists

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    The bass is just so much more versatile than guitar. All a bassist needs is a bass and an amp. You can play with a pick. You can run your fingers. You can slap and pop. Can't really say the same about guitarists. They typically need all kinds of varying effects to change their sound. While all a bassist has to do is change technique, where he's hitting the strings or the amount of force. Yes, I have an effects system. But, I bought it for the varying head and speakers options; not for the distortion, chorus, flange, compression, overdrive, wah, etc. If you find it boring, then you are playing boring songs. If you spend all of your life playing U2, usually 4 or 5 notes, it will be monotonous. Challenge yourself.

16. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I was kinda the same way. I started learning six-string guitar, tried several different guitars but nothing ever clicked. Then I tried a used Fender P in the shop one day just to go, "Look, I'm Steve Harris!" and instantly got hooked. Go figure. :p

17. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    The instrument is what you make it.
    And to loosely quote Abraham Laboriel.

"The bass is a supportive instrument with opportunities to stand out. If you want to stand out all the time, the bass is probably not for you."

YouTube - abraham laboriel bass lesson

18. quit while you are ahead. All playing bass has ever given me:

A ton of friends (by playing in several bands)
    Touring
    Tons of shows
    Seeing more bands from better locations

Those things all suck. I promise.

19. I also began on electric guitar. I needed to take the bass because in Music class, it was a requirement to take 2 instruments which use different clefs. As soon as I plugged in & hit the first bass note, I was hooked.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021