cool bass and bass guy stories

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    going through the jazz bass owners thread and saw the story of

@Ron Clark

are there any other cool stories like this?

Ron, I would like to hear how things are going now.

BigDanT likes this.
  2. RockinRonnie

RockinRonnie carpe diem Supporting Member

Thanks, and glad you enjoyed my story. I am still loving my black 69 Jazz and so thankful to have found a well cared for, one owner instrument like this. A fret dressing by my trusted luthier was all that was required for this bass to achieve perfection for me. It is always ready in my music room and it gets some playtime almost every day.
    I keep in touch with Brian, who found the bass for me two years ago in California. We have sort of become like pen pals on Facebook :)
    What's next? Well, the attached 1970 photo of the teen band I first played for might have a follow-up story. The guitarist and drummer are brothers and still play together in a band. We might be able to put something together for our 50th high school reunion in 2020. Not too far away and something else to look forward to :thumbsup:
    image.jpeg

kkaarrll likes this.
  3. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Not my story, but a cool one:

My friend owns a rather excellent guitar shop. One day a number of years ago a woman came into the store looking for a particular model bass (I don't remember what it was) in a specific color. She said her husband played bass and had sold his favorite to help pay for their wedding years ago. He had loved this bass more than anything he owned, but they needed the money. Now their 20th anniversary was approaching and as a gift she wanted to buy him the same model bass in the same color.

She was in luck. The shop happened to have that model in that color, used. She bought it.

A few days later the woman returned to the store. She had given the bass to her husband on their anniversary and he immediately recognized it as the very bass he sold 20 years earlier. Same mods. Same finish marks. Same serial number. It was the very same bass.

Needless to say everybody was happy - husband, wife and shop owner.

4. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    @Ron Clark I would pay to go see that show, but only if the guitar player wears those pants!

RockinRonnie likes this.
  5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    that is nuts

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Well here's the story of me and my main bass.

I've always loved Fenders and their look, sound mystique etc. The first bass I ever tried out was a P bass belonging to a neighbor of mine named Bill Colby who played with Jay and the Americans. He had many amazing stories to tell. I've played a 6 string bass since about 2002 and always said that if Fender made a 6 string 24 fret Jazz Bass I would get one.

I work as an in home caregiver and every time you get a new client it takes about 3 months to get paid but you get paid retroactively so I got paid 3 months at once and put a down payment on a brand new Fender Steve Bailey Jazz Bass. After I ordered it and put the down payment on it they were discontinued. Fender was also having issues with their finish supplier and it took 9 months to get it. After I put in the last payment and it came in the owner of the shop told me it was the only bass that he ever sold that ever appreciated in value before it left the shop.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

C/S,
    Rev J

7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    that is a sweet bass, cool story too

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Thanks I also swagged it up with these:

knobs.jpg

C/S,
    Rev J

kkaarrll and catcauphonic like this.
  9. Bill colby

Bill colby

Jan 7, 2018

10. Bill colby

Bill colby

Jan 7, 2018
    Hi Rev J still looking to contact you on where we lived when I showed you my PBass

11. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Hey Bill. I just PM'd you. Funny seeing you around these parts.

C/S,
    Rev J

12. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

I once left three of my instruments at a friend’s ranch while on a family vacation, but she left on a cattle drive, leaving them unattended. Fearing they’d been abandoned, the basses braved the California wilderness to find their way home, surviving mountains, rapids and bear encounters and even rescuing a lost little girl on their way home to me.

It was nuts, man.

--^@

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    RockinRonnie likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    RockinRonnie likes this.
  14. RockinRonnie

RockinRonnie carpe diem Supporting Member

Terrific story two fingers :thumbsup: