Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool ebay find!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Dec 8, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very Tobias-y.

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking Smith-y... with a Roscoe-ish headstock.

3. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    What could possibly make it worth that kind of money?

4. And why are the "originals" you mentioned worth their price? I mean, here in Europe is Schack quite known and respected brand, as is Tobias, Smith or Roscoe in States. Do you find 3.3 grands for brand new Ken Smith too much? I do and this applies to Schack too, but that is other story...

5. I don't think that they price is that high for a new bass. It looks to have top notch components, great wood (bubinga, flamed maple and ebony), an 11-piece neck, figured top and back and the finish and craftsmanship look to be very good from the pictures.. From everything I've read about Schack they make very good instruments. IMO the price seems reasonable for that bass.

Looking at their website, I'm a little bit curious about how their bolt-on basses work. They use some sort of brass joint... though I can't tell how it works exactly. It also looks like they impregnate all their necks with resin in a vacuum chamber. Sounds pretty neat. Some of their claims are verging on ridiculous though.

6. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    Or is it like a Rolex watch?

Doesn't tell time any better than a $500 watch, but it sure looks good, and everyone thinks you are cool?

7. No.

Why would you even need a $500 watch. I'm sure people use $10 watches and have no problems with being late because they're watch was out by 1 second more per day.

8. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    Ok.

Same question.

Make it a $10 watch.

9. Simple answer: it's worth more because it cost more to build.

The wood cost more than the wood on a $500 bass. The pickups are custom wound and the preamp is custom made both of which are expected to be of better quality than what you'd get on a $500 bass with active electronics. The labor cost is higher as it is built in Germany which obviously has higher labor costs than Mexico or China. On top of the labor cost the bass probably took longer to build.

All those things cost money, so since the bass cost more to build, it is to be expected that it will cost more to buy.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played my share of Shack Basses,the ones I have played,played well and sounded very nice and were of top notch quality(pickups and electronics as well)with what seemed like an extra keen attention to detail.one could rightfully say that they are the European equivalent of K.Smith,Roscoe,MTD,etc in regards to quality as well as price.and one would be surprised at what they sound like(again another well built high end Bass that some players have never heard of but,on it's own hang with what some consider the best of the best).