Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool edit pro.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Here's the deal. I got my hands on a copy of Cool Edit Pro 2. I want to record the ideas I have, as well as fool around with some drones/soundscapes etc.

Now, I run my amp via the output through the mic entrance on my computer. I have a signal, but the problem is it is much too weak. I have to put my speakers on 9 when playing it back, and recording louder isn't an option (I live in a very crowded area). Is there some way to boost the signal? I've already put the mic input on max, but I'm sure there has to be a way to boost the signal in Cool Edit Pro.
    Compressors or other external hardware aren't an option since I don't have any money.

Help please?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

:)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually any amp line out is hot enough to give you enough signal for the line in of your soundcard.
    I assume you set everything right in your soundcard mixer (if not, check the settings)
    The mic in usually has a boost option, but it's a hefty one (+20 dB), and adds noise. It may help you.

Also check the manual of your amp, maybe it's better to use the fx send. It could also be that the signal level depends on the amp gain or volume setting (I had this with my Zoom 9030 FX/preamp).

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    in the effects section there is an amplify feature and a normalize feature under amplitude....