1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool new basses from Retrovibe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Anyone in the UK or europe, Dave over at Retrovibe http://www.probass.co.uk/Home.html has some new bass designs. I like his new Evo. Sort of a stingray with hints of Ibanez and maybe Spector. I actually like the less rounded horns.. that sharp edge really reminds me of my old Roadster basses and I'm surprised at how much I like the 2+2 headstock with that body style. This is the first time I've ever really been attracted to a Stingray style bass. I like this guys take on bass designs. Not exact copies of any other basses, but taking popular bass designs and putting his twist on them.

[​IMG]

I've been playing his Vantage ( bass in my avatar ) a ton and love it. He tweaked it so it's more Ric and less Jazz like... and with 2 humbuckers rather than 1 humbucker and 1 single coil. He did say they are 4 wire pickups so that with some work you could put switches or push/pull pots and make them single coil... cool option.

[​IMG]

He does ship to the US, but it ended up being about $750 or so with shipping and insurance, don't know if I can rationalize it again. But they are intersting. ( No I don't work for him/them... I just own one of their basses and like to see smaller companies with different bass designs get noticed. I like Waterstone designs a lot too... they are similar companies )

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Nifty

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    It seems like the headstocks should be switched around on those two.

4. They look neat, but I can't say I see any Spector influence in there.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly my first thought.
    "Crikey, there's a problem in the production room!"

6. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    The headstock shape is the only Spector part I saw. Similar to my Spector headstock but with that interesting chunk taken out of it.

I know what you mean about reversing the headstocks. But I like the looks. It's neat to see new designs even if they are derivative. I think I'm going to start saving for an EVO.

7. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    yuck

8. Agreed

9. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    +1

Wonder why they did that?

10. I don't see any problem with the headstocks, I think they look good as they are on their respective basses. Maybe they were just experimenting? It looked well

11. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I really like the stingray body with the 2+2 headstock. I think I might like the vantage better with an unpainted one but I'm also use to my vantage with more Jazz like neck/head.