1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort Curbow 5 VS. OLP MM3 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cb56, Oct 4, 2009.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've been trying to sell an acoustic guitar locally that I don't need and have been offered one of these two basses as a trade. The acoustic guitar has a trade value of $225-$250 so I know I'm not getting a great bass. This will be a backup to my peavey cirrus so I'm not going to be all that picky. Just need something as a backup in case of emergencies etc...

So anybody have any input on either of these? Both china made I assume. Is there a huge difference in quality between the two? I won't get a chance to compare until I get together with the guy to trade.

2. the OLP is nice, but obviously sub standard on some parts... i personaly love the corts, great instruments for the price. plus the are really unique. very versitile in my opinion

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've played the four string version of the Cort, and the fretless, and both were very nice. Great necks, sorry I don't have any input on the 5er.:meh:

4. bakjewel

bakjewel

Mar 6, 2009
    My friend has an OLP guitar, it's okay, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone... plus OLP doesn't make guitars anymore

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I've owned the Cort Curbow 5. It was my first bass, and i kept it for about 2 years.

It's a nicer bass than the OLPs i've seen in shops so far. Very small and lightweight, and hangs really nicely on the body. It won't sit on the knee properly, though (you'll probably need to play standing up or at minimum strapped in) and the electronics are probably the weakest point in the bass (but since they're licensed barts you can probably drop in a barto replacement).

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The curbow will have a higher resale value. I just sold a MM3 for $150 w/gigbag and it was for sale for over a year.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    cool thanks everybody. That's the way I was leaning anyway.

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I have owned both brands, and they are both nice. I still own the Curbow 5, (they are Korean made), and it is excellent for the price, and a great slap bass.

The OLP I had was the MM32, which was the top of the range one, it was good also (Korean made), but had an intermittent bust pickup, so the QC cant be great.

As said above you will make your money back on the OLP as they have been discontinued. I sold mine for more than I paid for it....with the bust pickup, (I told the buyer of course).