Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CORT CURBOW FEED BACK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 18, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    [​IMG]

What's your opinion on it?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Much better than I expected, especially with the Bart pup.

And the price is right.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Quite then nice bass. My only problem is that I can't slap because my fingers catch on the part of the neck where it meets with the pickup.

4. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    I love the style. I wish it came left-handed. I've played a Cort headless bass and loved it as well.

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks for the feed back guys.

6. tomr

tomr

Oct 13, 2005
    I bought one and also find it harder to slap on. Otherwise I really love it and enjoy playing it. For the price it's really good and easy to play (apart from slapping of course). Another slight issue I have with the design is that it just doesn't seem to sit easy when I'm sitting down playing. But overall a good light bass that is ideal for gigging.

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I found it to be very sterile sounding, and the output was very low, even with a new battery.

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    it's nice. i wish they made the retro in a 5-string or a fretless. or both!
    it's small, tho...so if you're used to a mammoth fender jazz, then it shall be quite a change.
    and yes, the lower horn is teeny-weeny, so not as versatile for sitting down.

otherwise, it's solid and it sounds good. go for it. :bassist:

9. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Ive played this bass, its very good the exact one 4 string fretless.

It was kinda uncomfortable sitting down but the best position is the classical guitar position squeeze it inbetween your legs, even then it isnt that great.

And thankfully that is my only complaint.

The bass is awesome. I holds notes for very long considering its a bolt on. Lots of flavour and warth with the MK-1 and a cool low mid boost with the MK-2 preamp. The bass seemed to have alot of growl and was the fastest neck i have felt.

I didnt find the same problem with slapping but i guess everyone is different.

I am getting the 6 string version once it comes into AUS :hyper:

10. Just got one as my first fretless, used. I freaking love it! The extra extended neck lets me play some songs that require a high C string (like jerry was a race car driver). I have nylon wound strings on it right now which feel super fast to play and has some warmth. My only complaint is that the tone could use some more warmth and nuance, but that could be my playing too.

Don't forget, it looks super sexy! .... a six string version????!!

11. teleken

teleken

Apr 2, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    Not bad for what they are, but nothing to write home about either.

12. teleken

teleken

Apr 2, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    +1

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Great for the $. I actually thought the old Mighty Mite pickup sounded better than the imported Bartolini they have now. I put a US Bart in my 5, and it sounds killer. The extra frets are awesome.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Used to own a 6-string fretted version and it was a nice bass, but i couldn't get past what i considered to be a sterile tone, frankly.

15. i LOVED the tanglewood version of it in the 90's (did the companies merge or regional names?), i really liked everything about it just it only had the one pickup (yep i was a twin pickup snob then).

it was great for john entwistle style stuff and low grunty funk (i tried a 5).

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    It was my first bass. Nice bass, nicer price. Doesn't play well when seated, i had trouble getting the intonation "just right", but after i did, it played well.

there's a gain knob at the back. I adjusted it to slightly overdrive whatever i was playing into, and it sounded pretty sweet. For it's price, unbeatable.

17. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think they sound pretty bad. They sound sterile and bland, and the already treble-heavy Luthite body does NOT need a "slap switch" to further boost the treble.

The ergonomics though are really really comfy and well done. If you have a tube amp they're a lot more managable in a mix. My roomate's brother has one and he likes it a lot since he got an SVT-4.

They ARE fun to play, and I suppose for the price they are asking, it's a good deal.

18. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    i have a first year cort curbow 5, i love it. still looks plays and sounds great.

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I bought a fretless 4 string and tweeked the preamp which brought up the mids and toned down the highs and then I disconnected the slap switch. I have a real Curbow and you can't compare $3000 to $350.

G

20. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Malmslatt, Sweden
    +1 ... had a red one with the mighty mite pickup.... and i got rid of it simply because it just didn't cut it live.... but the body is nice and you can get som tonal variations out of it... I good step up from the cheapo basses.....