Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cort elrick electronics replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by e p, Oct 13, 2005.

1. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    So Im thinking about getting either a 4/5 string Cort Elrick.

[​IMG]

It comes w/ a Bartolini MK-1 EQ/IV(Active-Passive PP), 1 Blend, 3 Band.

Im sure it sounds fine as is but I wish to 'beef' it up if you will.

The tone Im looking for is an agressive growly sound heavy on the lows and mids but with a clear treble as well. Im looking the Aguilar OPB-3 pre because of the mid selection and maybe some seymour duncans. And to give you an example of the sound it would be agressiveness of Tool, growl of Incubus/311. Of course I cant get these exact.. ;)

So what Im asking is, would these electronics be a good route to go for my desires? (no budget)

-thanks

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had one of those awhile ago, and I put a Demeter 3-band preamp in and was really happy with it.

I'm not sure if there are Duncan pickups that are a direct drop-in replacement, but it looks like Bartolini has some new MK shape pickups.

I have a Lakland 55-01 with the same pickups and preamp, so I'm currently going through the same process as you. I'm most likely going to go with either a Sadowsky preamp or Aguilar OBP-1, or maybe drop that Demeter in. I'll try upgrading the preamp first before I look at the pickups.

3. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Since you don't actually have the bass yet, why not get it and then see if you want to change anything.

Since you don't have the bass, you don't know what (if anything) you don't like about the sound. Without knowing that, it's hard to recommend anything specific.

I think the pickups are perfectly ok on there, I had a 55-01 that sounded great. If I'd have upgraded anything, I'd probably have put in an aguilar preamp. If I felt there was too much high end, I might have put in a bart preamp. Your mileage may vary.

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree with davidmwilson, however if the bass does need more beef, you could try the MK-4s.