Corvette vs Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Aug 22, 2005.

Thumb vs Corvette?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2005.
  1. Thumb

41 vote(s)
  2. Corvette

24 vote(s)
  1. Looking at 5 string, bolt-on, active. I play a range of music and really like the two warwicks I've played, they were only 4s, am pretty sure I can get one soonish am was wondering what are the differences? is a thumb worth and extra £2-400?
    thanks for any input.
  2. Low Notes

Low Notes

Aug 20, 2005
    I face the same question, Gingerfish
  3. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I really like mapple corvettes like the proline model. Great highs!
  4. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    i've played a normal corvette and i have a thumb 5 and i gotta say the thumb is way better, it growls alot more and i think it has more features in the preamp. If i were you though i'd try for a used warwick at a local shop or on the internet. Like at they have a thumb bolt on 5 for about 1100 and it looks like its in real good condition i's suggest giving them a call.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wound up getting a Streamer LX. I prefered it over the thumb for both playability and tone. The corvettes never floated my boat. If you can test out one of the wideneck versions of the streamer lx or the thumb I'd recommend it. I never thought I'd like it, but I won't look twice at a 5+ stringer with narrow spacing again.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy the thumb :)
  7. jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The Vettes are balanced better. IMHO
  8. thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    First off, i love my thumb, but i must be honest, there are some things i dont like about it. Sometimes it wants to neck dive, and if you like to rest your plucking arm on the body, it may feel cramped because the body is so small (i learned to not rest my arm).

its beauty, sound, and playablity keep me from selling mine.
  9. jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That's kind of what I wanted to say, but didn't want to piss anyone off. Thumbs are really awesome, but if you're doing the 3-4 hour a night cover gigs, I would imagine that having to hold the neck up would be a pain.

I've never owned one, so I'm not speaking from first hand experience, but I have owned the corvette trifecta (4,5 & 6) and they are balanced very well. It helps mask how heavy they are.
  10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I voted thumb.... the corvette's feel and sound like a nicer ibanez to me (and that's not good in my opinion). The thumb feels and sounds unique. I've tried a few times to get one by trading my stingray 5... hopefully I'll get around to just buying one and keeping the sr5 at some point. You might also think about finding a neck thru model... if you can come up w/the money. It's a lot extra, but worth it (again.. in my opinion).
  11. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    I'll give you more of the same answer:

Go try them both and get the one you like better.

If you want my personal opinion:

I'd say get the corvette. The thumb has a smaller neck and that wierd body which I do not like. I just got my new corvette double buck and the thing is awsome.
  12. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I voted thumb, smaller body, comfier, and a growlier tone.
  13. rick-lionheart

Aug 19, 2005
    I owned a Corvette Standard (Buinga body Wenge neck) 4 string, for many years. Passive and made in 1995. I say that this was truthfully one of the best bass's I've owned in terms of playability and feel. Punchy and clear. It had the Wenge Neck (Black/Brown colour) and diffeent to the Ovankol neck. Like a passive Jazz, could be sensitive to interferance. Absolute recommendation so long as you like the shape. The real question for me would therefore be the "look". I found Thumb bass a less good shape. Small body, relatively huge neck which can be inclined to dive. I think a person should try before buying. The Streamers have a more conventional geometry but watch the Stage 1, 5 string, necks as they are quite wide. The Thumb has to be a modern iconic design though but I am a huge fan of the unfashionable Corvettes (Bubinga Wenge West German) if you like the shape. It is also interesting that Ed Roman (of great knowledge and strong opinions), a huge guitar retailer in the USA, highly rates the Corvette, "Ed strongly recommend the Corvette 4 string as the best boutique brand bass under $1,000.00. "
  14. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I just sold my Thumb, and I miss it already....:(
  15. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Ive owened 4 warwicks and my older 92 Corvette with emgs easly out growled both the bolt on Thumb 5s and streamer lX I owned.Not to take anything away from corvettes,But that was based on an older one.If you simply want the warwick sound get a corvette, any buy a better pickups or pre amp.
  16. I've never played a 5 string corvette, some 4's but no 5's. I liked the 4 string thumbs better than the 4 string corvettes though. I did however play a 5 string thumb at guitar center and I fell in love with it. I really really liked the 4 string fretless corvette though, it was sooo nice. Too bad it was the only fretless warwick there. I would've loved to play a fretless thumb.