1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could anybody sugguest some cheap pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IStoleYourCar, Jan 4, 2012.

1. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm just getting into pedals and was wonding if there were any out there that, for being a cheap pedal, have at least decent sound to them. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, maybe just a distortion and a bass booster.

Thanks!

2. When I was experimenting with pedals, I found the Behringer and Danelectro lines a great, inexpensive place to start.

After many years, I still use a few of those.

3. Dan-O Daddy-O(old, metal box)for OD; Bad Monkey for boost(or OD). I have had good results w/old DOD pedals- cheap & common.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    yes, This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Wow! The Danelectos are incredibly cheap! Thanks for the suggestion!

6. No problem.

Now, you'll need to do a little research before you spring for even a cheap pedal. If they are not designed specifically for bass, some of them can suck the low end out of your signal. It depends on the effect. Behringer makes a budget line just for bass guitar. So, even though you're only spending $20.00 or whatever, read up on the pedal and see what other BASS players have to say before you buy it.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    The Behringer BDI-21 and the Dano Fab Echo.
    The BDI is well-loved here even by most of the B haters.
    The Dano is real cheap, and I thing it is great for a bit of slap echo. Oh, and it has the famous blue LED.

8. Yeah, that's the thing w/cheap- they can be crap or near-crap. The Daddy-O I suggested has a metal casing but plastic jacks- one of which started to *go* on mine. Pisser as I really dug the sound.

9. EvilE

EvilE

Dec 17, 2011
    Pick up a Zoom B1 or B2. They can be found for $50 used.

10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I might suggest that you find a used multi-effects (Digitech BP-something) and experiment with the sounds. That way you can find what you will and won't use and possibly avoid investing in something you'd never tread on.

I have the Behringer Graphic EQ, and it's great.
    I did also have a (blue LED) Dano overdrive. That sounded great due to the tone control dialing the bass back in.

If you're just going for dirt and boost, try the Tech21 stuff.

11. Yup.. I still use the chicken salad and the french toast.

12. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
  13. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I agree with going the multi-effects pedal route. I have a Digitech BP-90 that I dig. I've set it up as a pre-amp on one setting and the next setting adds distortion.

14. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
  15. I thought the first clip (the Muse song) was a good example, sounded pretty good to me.

Enjoy!

16. iantrevor

iantrevor

Jul 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    There seem to be plenty of inexpensive pedals, but I've found good luck getting cheap(ish) pedals used at big box music stores. Guitar Center has a nice searchable database of used pedals that are either in your local store or can be shipped there.

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Danelectro Fab Chrous.

18. Buy used stuff. No just at big stores either. Check Craigslist, the classifieds here, and definitely check out little mom and pop stores if there are any around where you live. You can find some pretty good deals if you look. I got my MXR Blue Box for 40 bucks at little store up the street that has a lot of strange pedals that I have never heard of or seen anywhere. It still had a 83.99 price tag from Long and McQuade on the box. I really should go there again sometime and try some stuff.

19. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member