1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could somebody please explain.....

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Aug 24, 2007.

1. In proffesional studios they have a big mixing desk, and they have a patch board, many effects, such as compressors etc and use pro tools. How does this all work, and in what sequance? Ie: for tracking and mixing.

Thanks heaps, and sorry that it may seem like a silly question.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you're just getting into this, you'll see less and less of hardware and patch bays used with ProTools and more and more software plugins. Check the "All plugins" at the Digidesign site. That's just a small sampling, there are many more.

Software allows digital patching without cables and noise, and allows you to instantly switch to different configurations. Many hardware name brands now have software plugin products.

Trade offs are they require more and more CPU and I/O power. But PC's keep getting faster - "Moore's Law"

You'll even find hardware boxes now, like the Lexicon MX500, that is a physical external box, but works just like a plugin by connecting it up through firewire. These offload the PC CPU.

Good or bad, it's the way things are going.

3. And in most cases, the plug-ins don't sound like the boxes that they're supposed to emulate - I kinda consider that to be a trade off...

4. That's a huge question. It's not silly, but to answer it completely would take ages. Maybe you should look for a book on the topic if you want an in-depth answer.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    agreed... great for scratching out stuff and/or home recordings. Real pro output means real pro gear.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sure - maybe, and in some cases the plugins sound much better. And they're getting better all the time. Plug-ins are "Pro Gear", there's no question about that.

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    some plugins are closer than others. Compressor plugins arent up the snuff or even close IMO. I use them cuz i don thave 3 grand to drop on a compressor. It all depends on what your working with. A $300 plugin compressor is almost always gonna sound better than a $300 outboard compressor.

To answer your actualy question, most pro tools systems, at least in a commercial studio are going to be HD. What that means is there is a card inside the computer that acts basically as its own computer processor. It does all the plugin processing and recording processing. The signal comes from the mic, to a mic preamp, into a analog to digital converter, then routed somehow, whether it be through a mixing console or in the couputer, then to the digital to analog converter, the outputted through monitors. This is an over simplified explanation. It works the same as getting a little interface and plugging it into your computer, just a more intense signal path.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Regardless of the title - these are actually pretty good books:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764557149.html

For outboard gear, plenty of times what happens is the imperfections of the gear is what gets to be known as the signature sound. A good example is spring reverbs. Created to simulate the reverb of a large room but they don't sound as good as a real large room. Spring reverbs introduce a sproing that became their signature. Now you buy a high priced outboard or plugin that can reproduce large room reverb very accurately and yet it also includes a spring reverb model 'cause people want it. Then some say it doesn't sound as good as a real spring reverb.

9. Ok guys, im starting to get a bit more info on this. If i was to be producing in a studio that has protools hd, and i have protools Le, are these two compatible. I will just be comping, and editing tracks on my laptop.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Pro Tools (or whatever software) LE version is generally a stripped-down version of the full package, and is typically included free with a hardware purchase. The LE version may do everything you need, and the expense of the full-featured version may not be necessary. For simple recording, sequencing, editing, and mixing , the LE version will probably do the job just fine.

Good-quality recording gear can get expensive in a big hurry, but with a little bit of knowledge and some practice, you can get decent results with a very cheap setup.

I have found this site amazingly educational during my own learning process...www.tweakheadz.com

11. Thanks heaps dude. I was just wondering since you know a bit. If i run pro tools with a m box can i get a mixer that can record up to 8 tracks at the same time? Thanks heaps