1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could Use Some Helpful Direction

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XXL, Mar 14, 2008.

1. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I got my Barge VB-jr. in today and I really would like to be pointed in the right direction so I can get the maximum benefits.

I really dont know what to put in the effects loops and what ones to put in the blend loop concerning my crop of pedals, especially for live applications.
    I have a solid state head SD800 with an active bass Fender jazz 24 and an Avatar 2x10 and CB12 with tweeters.
    My pedals are in signal chain order of:
    Bass>VBJr>TS9DX>XXL>105Q>BSW>Bassballs>Q-tron+>Small Stone>Small Clone>OptoStomp>Amp nothing in the effects loops yet.
    I ran out of power plugs for the Echo#1:( I really wanna put that back in the chain.
    I took the BDDI out and decided just to use it for ampless gigs and I took out the FX25B.

Id really like some help on how to improve on my signal chain and live sound with my new Barge VBJr. Any advice and knowledge would be appreciated.

2. i'd say maybe the wah and bass balls

3. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Cool.. Ill try those out

4. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I am just going through each pedal and seeing what sounds best.

I just would like some opinions of * this is what I would try* or *I found this to work* type comments from those with more experience.

I find I work well with the *sample* settings and then tweak them to my preference.Im not so good at going in blindly so to speak.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    My first thought would be to blend any overdrives, distortions, or fuzzes.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Didn't you feel a particular need to blend a certain pedal before you bought the blender?

7. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Not so much for the blender function but for the signal buffer as I have a pretty long signal chain,and its been said that if u have certain tone suckers in your chain u can put those in the effects loop to bypass, that way you have a clearer signal .. but it seems like the 105Q doesnt like to be in the effects loop. I also use a passive bass and I thought the VBjr would help drive the chain with that particular bass. The blend function for me was more of an added bonus.

8. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    So just gain pedals need blending more than say the filters? Such as the wah BSW and Qtron

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Odd, I have mine in my barge and I've never had a problem with it. I think trying every posable angle is the way to go though. For instance you could have your filter in the loop with a blended clean signal, or, put the filter in front of the loop and have a fuzz/distortion in the loop and blend straight filter with fuzzy filter sounds to achieve maximum funkyness..............

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    It's not a matter of any particular pedal "needing" blending. A filter might benefit if it would otherwise tend to cut some low end. I blend my OD with a clean signal to get the best of both worlds, a little more punch and clarity. Or, for instance, with the BDDI the blend can preserve some of the midrange that would otherwise be cut.