1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

counterfit Les Paul

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by quindecima, Mar 16, 2019.

1. 20190316_184932. 20190316_184932. I know this is going to p--s a lot of people off but it is what it is, I can't afford $3500 Rupees for one.

I bought one of the Chinese Les Paul's for $215 shipped, I knew that there were going to be problems but at that price point I didn't care. I finally got it and lo and behold it's not made that bad, I looked it over and it seemed pretty straight. I immediately cut the strings off and pulled the pups out and all of the wiring etc. Jerked off the tuners (pos) and started in. I found a pair of early LP Humbuckers on Epay and a set of LP tuners. I orders all new CTS pots, new strings and took it to my Luthier to level the frets (only one was bad) and install a new nut. I got it back yesterday, "he said this thing is great" I am into it for less than 6 bills. So I guess I am posting to say I am a happy camper some people may have had a not so good experience with the Chinese stuff but this is good. From 5 feet away it looks like a real LP but a up close inspection will reveal the truth, it's a little heavy but no problem. I think that after all this work I probably have a 1K guitar but I don't plan on selling.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Cool guitar, good deal,

Bad on the logo and headstock model name.

Thanks for sharing, what's the motivation.?
    Why not get an epiphone? Would have cost nearly the same and would not be illegal, immoral to own?

3. No motivation, I know the head stock is not good but I'm not parting with it, it's only to impress my non-music friends they don't know squat. I had to change the bridge also, I use a Gotoh but the tail piece was O.K

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. /\/\3phist0

So you like being dishonest to your friends?
    Got it.
    Image is everything to some people I guess, regardless of the fact it's illegal.
    Shallow

5. No, after they drool over it I explain what I did WGAF if it's shallow. Like I said " knew this was going to p--s some people off"

6. /\/\3phist0

By the way I'm not pissed, I'm disheartened that envy and the need to be accepted drive so much of our society. Brand identity and being envied for what we own, and feeling that the label somehow makes us better.. sad.
    It's also sad that Gibson plays into this by severely overcharging so agregiosly for such a pedestrian mass produced product.

7. Well,lets face it those guitars are OVER priced and I'm not saying that the public is being ripped off, I realize that they have to make a profit but that guitar has been out for a LONG time and all CNC stuff has been paid for long ago. I would venture to say that the total expenditure for Gibson on one of those LP's is right around $200.00. this does not take into account advertisement, corporate parties, mistresses, ad infitum.

8. /\/\3phist0

We agree there.
    I owned a Rolodex oyster once upon a time.

Slinger likes this.
  9. I can see the envy thing, in my minds eye I see this friend of mine saying "I was over at rubersosas house last night and he had a bitchin LP there" but that only lasts for a little while.

10. I like those but can't afford one!

11. /\/\3phist0

Read closer, I spent $25 on a Rolodex watch . Awesome looking watch, faked everybody out. "Look the bass player in that metal band is wearing a 30k Rolex"
    The women were the "worst" part of it, so transparent , depraved.

It said Rolodex on the face.
    Seriously enlightening social experiment changed my view of people forever.
    Altered my respect level for a few of my friends too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    ICM, JoshS, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  12. O.K. I bought one of those yrs ago for about the same price Looked GOOD, easily discernable by looking at the second hand but WTheck.

13. /\/\3phist0

btw it's counterfeit:
    coun·ter·feit
    /ˈkoun(t)ərˌfit/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud.
      "two men were remanded on bail on a charge of passing counterfeit $10 bills"
      synonyms: fake, faked, copied, forged, feigned, simulated, sham, spurious, bogus, imitation, substitute, dummy, ersatz; More

noun
    1. 1.
      a fraudulent imitation of something else; a forgery.
      "he knew the tapes to be counterfeits"
      synonyms: fake, forgery, copy, reproduction, replica, imitation, likeness, lookalike, mock-up, dummy, substitute, fraud, sham; More
    verb
    1. 1.
      imitate fraudulently.
      "my signature is extremely hard to counterfeit"
      synonyms: fake, forge, copy, reproduce, replicate, imitate, simulate, feign, falsify, sham;
      informalpirate
      "my signature is extremely hard to counterfeit"

BooDoggie likes this.
  14. Pump the brakes there guy

15. Zen Ho

Zen Ho

Feb 13, 2019
    Sure they probably are overpriced by most people’s standards, but you don’t need that Gibson name on your guitar either.

Fialka, BooDoggie and 40Hz like this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I think there's probably bigger things to be concerned about.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You could have fun with the headstock and make some new decals that read Less Paul, or Rue Paul or something like that.

ICM, Keger Jupit, ofajen and 3 others like this.
  18. /\/\3phist0

Chibson

retslock and IamGroot like this.
  19. I’ve certainly heard of buying a counterfeit item, but bragging about it is something entirely new.

dalkowski, gln1955, BooDoggie and 2 others like this.