Couple of chord/scale questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ace123, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hey i just started playing bass for my church and i was wondering about a couple of things. All i'm supposed to do is play the root of the chord. Now, on the sheet it says Em7. If i'm playing the root, should i just play E. Or should i play Eb or what? Please explain what i should play and why i should play it. Also, it says Dsus on another part. Once again, do i just play D as the root? WHY?

Also, the instructor was talking about soloing and he said to learn the penatonic scale. I know i should know this scale but i don't. Is this a primary scale used for soloing? ALso, what is the blue's scale why we are at it? I have a bass teacher i guess we just kind of overlooked scales and that is a problem! I'll go talk to him about it the next time i see him but in the meantime can you guys help me out?
    Thanks a lot, we are starting a little church band and i think this will help me out with reading music and getting more into theory. ANy suggestions are apprecaited, thanks in advance.
  2. The "root" of the chord is the tone that the chord is built upon. So if you have Em7...
    The chord is built on E and the "m7" means the triad is minor and should contain the flat seventh of E. Since you're only playing roots right now the only thing you really need to be concerned with is the capital letter of the chord symbol. As you progress and want to play things other than the root you'll start looking at the "big picture" and see which notes besides the root will work under/over the chord.

I suggest going over the scales with your teacher as he can show you how/why/where to apply them.

Good luck!
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA

Major Pentatonic Scale
    1 2 3 5 6 notes of the major scale
    Ex: C = C D E G A C

Minor Pentatonic Scale
    1 b3 4 5 b7 notes of the major scale
    Ex: C = C Eb F G Bb C

Blues Scale
    1 b3 4 b5(#4) 5 b7 notes of the major scale