Cover band set-list conflicts.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    This has been on my mind lately because it tends to happen a lot especially in cover bands. I was gonna audition for this cover band and the leader sent me some songs to practice. I wasn't particularly fond of his song choices and voiced my opinion about it. He then proceeded to mock my reading abilities saying I didn't read the bands he had listed in the ad. The bands weren't the issue the song choices were. I've had conflicts in the past with other cover bands I've been in where one of the members and I didn't see eye to eye on the song choices. Needless to say I don't think I got the gig haha. How do you guys deal with that? Do you just play what you're told? or do you speak up if you're not gelling with a song?

saabfender likes this.
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If some guy wanted to audition for my band, and led off by critiquing my set list, he’d end up in the nope pile...fast. And I’d spread the word, too.

I have a gig. You NEED a gig. Your leeway to critique is minimal.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I won't play a bunch of songs I don't like. I play for fun and $$ is just an added bonus. So I wouldn't even bother fighting with BL about song choices. If I don't like the list then I don't audition.

4. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Haha I guess I wouldn't pass your audition. That's the thing I don't need the gig I was looking to play covers for fun. This dude is taking the concept of a cover band way too seriously. I have my own originals band I do, I just wanted to have some fun on the side.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    ... in the 3 cover bands I've played in over the last 7 years, I've enjoyed maybe 50 out of the 200 songs from all 3 bands. But playing live and loud? In the moment? With fellow competent quality musicians? Every song is great and I play my heart out of every single one. Money does not factor into the equation for me.

zoonose, RoadRanger, GlennRH and 46 others like this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    He's apparently embracing the cover band with the same passion you have for your originals project. Not a good match but that's the way things go.

Riis

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

That's an interesting audition strategy.

How would I deal with it? I wouldn't have to.

8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Seems like it's always you that has a problem with the songs.

RoadRanger, St_G and pudgychef like this.
  9. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I can see both sides. This guy didn't even have a drummer, the songs he picked to weren't what I considered crowd movers.

thekyle55 likes this.
  10. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Mmm don't know how you would know that. I haven't played in a cover band in over 7 years. Last conflict I had was with my old guitarist over a Megadeth song. We only ever played 3 gigs and I was 17 then.

saabfender likes this.
  11. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Elaborate.

12. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013

13. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    ????

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Elaborate on what?

After seeking an audition by immediately having a problem with the songs you're given, as I said, is an interesting way to go about things. It's not normal. It doesn't make much sense to me... unless you think they're going to change their songs for you, who is looking for a band.

As to how I'd deal with your situation... based on the fact that I'd never have that attitude, I wouldn't have to. OTOH you did everyone a favor by doing this early on.

15. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    It would make sense to fall in line with no conflict if I was looking for a paying gig. I'm not, I would think when choosing covers everyone should have a say on what songs would work well. An original band like mine has structure and lack of a democracy. You play what I wrote and how I arranged it simple as that. A cover band I don't see that happening unless I was making money from it.

16. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    This^^^^^^^^^

17. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I just spelled it out for ya.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Paying or not, they were looking for a bassist and you were looking for a band. And what you want to play is basically the tail wagging the dog.

19. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ok??

20. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Technically he was looking for people. One guy. A lineup hadn't even been formed yet.

twocargar likes this.