Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Covers with a difference?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Hey people.

I love this site, it rocks. One thing though, is that most of the guys who play in cover groups seem to be playing the same stuff. Same stuff, different area, I know. Thing is, my band has got a lot of gigs and made some decent money by playing anything BUT those normal tunes.

Our covers are still well-known and very danceable, and we are still directly a "cover band", but we have established ourselves by not playing those expected songs.

Is there anyone else here who makes a good living from playing "different" covers?

2. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    we definitely do SOME covers for "shock value" - eg, "wow! i can't believe these guys are doing that song" - examples? Kung Fu Fighting, Wild Thing (the rap song), Turning Japanes, and we're learning "Get Down Tonight"

but the name of the game is playing songs people like and know around here (northern Virginia)

sad but true.

I see SO many bands that have amazing musicians that play **** that they like and get virtually no crowd reaction. What's the point?

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Paw- You got a list lets see them?!!

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    We do a wide range of covers. The mantra of our act is "music you grew up with" and that means covering anything from oldies rock to current material. We currently have a 5-pc all male act and it looks like we'll shortly be adding a female vocalist as well. That will give us 4 lead vocal options as well as up to 4-part hamonies. Instrumentally, one of our 2 guitarists doubles on keys with enough color to cover anything (strings, horns, synth, you name it). Back to the issue at hand: We do throw a few out there that catch the audience off guard because you don't hear them, at least not that much, and not around here (CT). Badfinger's No Matter What is an example. Nothing fancy there. Just a solid listenable tune with good harmonies and rythm. That one goes over so well, it amazes us. It's one of those we use early on in the evening but opens up the dance floor almost every time. A few like that. Beyond that, we do mostly the average stuff. Like someone else said, you gotta do the "people-pleasing" bit. Focus is on danceable rock.

Cheers

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    In our trio cover band we try our best NOT to do the schlock rock crap.

Stuff we cover that does surprise the crowd:

D'yer Maker-Zep
    No Excuses-AIC
    Resurrection-Moist
    Guerilla Radio-RATM
    Cleopatra's Cat-Spin Doctors
    Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    We cover "Gimme Shelter" by the Stones. You don't hear that one live too often. And "LaLa" by ashlee simpson. You do hear that one very often, though. :smug:

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Skynryd and Dwight Yokem are the best to cover I know of.

Lots of good covers, don't get me wrong but some just work no matter where you play and my choice I made above.

tk

8. Ok - thanks lads for the feedback. Sounds like there are some really decent cover bands out there.

Our setlist? well, its pretty long (4 or 5 hour shows - we are proud to give the clubs owners their money's worth)

So just a sample?

Augie March - Here Comes the Night
    Radiohead - High And Dry
    Rush - Crossroads (bass and drum solo version)
    Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
    Melaine - Brand New Key (rocked up)
    David Bowie - Man Who Sold The World
    George Harrison - Here Comes the Sun
    REM - Orange Crush
    Powderfinger - This Love
    Kinks - Lola
    Turtles - Happy Together
    Tom Petty - Freefalling

etc, etc, etc.

In my town, the most popular cover bands all play the same stuff, so we go for something just as good, but not always heard.

We get heaps of gigs, and are just on the brink of the real money!!!

Good luck to everyone elses bands, there's no reason not to play whatever you want! :)