1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigs List

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Anyone here have any experience with Craigslist.org? I posted an ad on there (to try getting with a band) and already got 2 responses within a few days.
    It seems to be pretty good, but I just want to know if anyone has any experiences/stories/warnings/cautions for me before I start meeting up with these people.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You got your good people and your wierd people, but for the most part, the biggest thing to watch out for with CL, is if you're trying to sell something, you'll get a lot of scam attempts. As far as meeting up with bands, I've never had a problem.

Cept I got a bunch of kids who really weren't too serious about the band I nearly committed heavilly to.

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Craigslist is just as weird as anything, really... I've had good luck buying and selling stuff (i even sold a car :eek:) off there as long as I've steered clear of the scammers. The musician's forum on the Chicago craigslist is bizarre with lots of people ready to put anyone else down at the drop of hat, argue about whether indie music is indeed played only by pansies, ridicule punks for having ideals, take potshots at older guys for wanting to play music as a hobby... you see where I'm going with this? People with way too much time on there hands, trolling around... I think CL is a great resource, but be prepared to separate the wheat from the chaff

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    in Austin we have often have a thread where someone post "I'm planning on moving to Austin to be a musician is it a good scene" and someone usually repsponds, in a no so polite manner about the thousands of other waiters already here.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my band is a Craigs List success story.

but i had to do a lot of sifting to get it. and my roommate has been searching for a quality bassist and drummer for his band for about a year now.

i am guessing that about 95% of the people who post are on there (in my area) are just absolute flakes. :(

if you dont mind sticking with it, you can have good results.

oh and i sell a lot of stuff through Craigs List, and i have learned how to weed people out by their replies. For example, if someone replies "Is this item still available?" and that's all that is written...dont even bother replying. If they include a name and number, then reply. If you can tell that they didnt bother reading your ad then dont reply. If they try to low ball you, dont reply. etc etc.

good luck :)

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Craigslist is like any other facet of American life... some responsible people, a lot of morons. But it makes for good fun, and there are lots of useful items for sale. I've sold several things on there (including a car) with great success, and I've bought stuff (including bass gear). IMO, it's a great tool.

7. Thanks guys.
    I've already got 2 replies. 1 just straight up offered me an audition on the spot:eyebrow:...and the other seems more likely to work. He sent me a site for his band with tons of mp3's (great fusion/funk band BTW), asked normal questions, he talks like a real person (the other guy seemed a little too eager to give a stranger an audition).
    I'm gonna wait and see what happens. The ad has only been up for a few days, hopefully this one guy will come through and it will be nice and simple with kickass results, but I'm not getting my hopes up.