1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist-- garbage IMHO

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by obimark, Jul 24, 2012.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Sorry for the rant, but want to see other peoples experiences, and start a new thread.
    This is my experience recently with craigslist in Atlanta. 80% of people posting on it are out and out crap. (Either people who jsut can't get there act together or messing around)
    out of the remaining 25% - 20% are ego trips--- it usually goes like this- "since you are responding to my ad, I make all the rules, you have zero input on what we play, which songs, etc.." I have now learned to spot this fairly quickly, and bail the second I get this vibe.
    5% may be legitimate but out of that- 10% might be close eough to your style and what you want to do/location.
    Its' funny with the shortage of good bass players that more bands don't understand, if I play bass very well and you want me in your band, then I have a say over what we play and the direction of the band. Period! Auditioned for a band recently- who were like after the first audition "You are really good, if you want in your in." my reply "Fine, but out of 40 songs, I want to add 4-5 that I want to play. Pretty reasonable as I am 1/4 of the 4-piece band. So the "leader" sends out the revised setlist for next weeks practice. Surprise, not one! of the songs I suggested is on there. Been there done that before, reply email, "thanks for your time, thsi isn't a fit for me." Seems he thought, to add a song I have to sing it myself!! Which isn't good for anybody ;-)
    I post my ads, and am very specific now, but you must have a lot of patience.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cl can be a great tool and has worked really well for myself and my band for years. The tricks are time and screening...good luck.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yup, 90% is probably crap. But that's true of just about everything.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it though. I found my band through Craigslist. I talked to liars who claimed to have played for Taylor Swift, and did a bunch of auditions before I found my place.

That's the game. I get why you might be on a rant about it, but I'd try to get over it ASAP. IME, Craigslist works.

4. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    The city has more to do with it than the site, I think. I had great luck in the Boston area finding gigs/musicians, and for buying and selling. Moved to central-NC, and have had a really awful time finding musicians, and buying/selling is just OK.

I think factors such as size of market, economy, number of colleges, etc. will really effect who posts and views a specific CL site.

Generally, though, I am a fan of the site. I started out before the internet, and I prefer websites to the old days of newspaper classifieds and want ads.

5. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I like CL, but you're right, it does have a higher level of complete crap than some other ways to buy/sell used stuff. The problem is due to it's advantage. It is free. There is no barrier to entry. Absolutely anyone can go on there and post or respond to anything. Very democratizing, but it makes you realize how low the level of responsibility in our society is. So it's not really CL's fault. It's everyone you know. :)

6. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    That could be it, it may be that Atlanta just isn't a great town for live music. I mean Hell, what I want to do is an all 80s cover band with a female singer who is smoking hot, which should have quite a bit of popularity and giggability. Have played out with several of my old bands at "bars" with poor turnout as well.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Some of the best musicians I've ever played with I found through CL.

8. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I'm in Atlanta, every once in a while, so if you can pull the band together, let me know and I will come to the show :)

I tried to just find a decent singer in central-NC for years, unsuccessfully. Could be that my music is not very good, or not what folks in the area care for, but eventually, I just decided to give up and go instrumental.

In Boston, we could always get a new singer in a month or two - and have multiple good ones we tried out, and had to choose from.

Good luck with your search.

9. I responded to a Craigslist add (just one) and that's all it took for me, but I got really lucky I think. I also live in a town that is fairly good for my genre of music... blues. anyway, found a guitarist who wanted a bassist, then a got a new drummer for our next practice on Craigslist and now we are a three piece.

buying/selling around here is decent. not great. but I can't really complain. I would say that with CL you just have to have good intuition and a good understanding of people. and when you get that little tingle in your spine that says run, you run like hell!

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed.

Obimark, when joining an existing band, it's not unusual for that band to expect you to learn their existing list FIRST, before you start making demands.

11. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Agreed_ I actually had there 25 song setlist down, and played thru all of them with them. (this was for songs after that) (I have been playing a long while now and getting cover songs down is a breeze because my ear has developed (finally).

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 I'm amazed at some of the talent in my area all on CL.

13. glenb73

glenb73

Dec 18, 2010
    We have made a lot of great matches through CL. CL is the best tool ever for making matches in my opinion, you just need to pre-screen and research first so you have a good fit.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    me, too!;)

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Your search is strategic, which is good.

You want a "turn key " opportunity with a gigging 80s cover band with a female front.

The con is well established working cover bands don't usually have to post ads. They have guys waiting in the wings.

While many tbers do not believe in going out to see bands. I would go out and see some of the local cover bands and do some networking.

16. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    That is great advice- and the feeling I get too, the good bands aren't posting because they can easily fill there spot if it comes open. Have went out and seen some good bands, but they are so good, noone leaves them. Catch-22, which leaves a lot of far less than great stuff on CL.

17. You gotta clean a lot of oysters to find a pearl.

But if you stop cleaning oysters altogether, you will never find a pearl.

I've met some real schmucks and timewasters via CL.

I have also met and worked with some of the best players and entertainment business minds in town via CL.

18. Where are you located in central NC?
    I'm central NC as well and was working on trying my hand at singing more as opposed to bashing because I'm apparently not great at doing both at the same time (darn ADHD).

19. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    We lost our drummer a while ago and found a great addition to the band (both as a friend and a player) on craigslist. We had to go through about 10 guys first who were Flakes, Egomaniacs, tweekers, Not skilled, on and on. He said he had the same experience we did till he found us. Just a numbers game. You run through all the people it takes to find the right fit.

20. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Same here. My current band originally came together via CL, since then lineup changes have involved CL but more recently just knowledge of the community and networking.