1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

craigslist scam or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I posted an item on craigslist and got a response from a dude pretty quickly, probably within the first hour it was up. he inquired about the model of the cabinet and then in a follow up he said this

Hi,
    I have instructed my assistant to send out your payment as soon you provide your full name,phone number and address. I can only pay via money order as am on business trip now,the money order is going to clear from your bank before the pick up. Please let me know where to send your payment to because i would'nt want to lose it to someone else. I dont mind adding fifty dollars so you can keep it in my favor. As for the pick-up, I already have an arrangement for that.Hope is in good condition?
    Gerald

this seems okay but ihavent used craigslist much as a seller so i do not know the format of the latest scams, does this ring any bells?

2. Anytime the buyer throws in extra money it is a scam.

3. Scam.

lowsound

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    alright

5. Tell him for an extra 100 naira you will hold it for him, but it would have to be cash when he picks it up.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What a lot of people don't know is that the bank will make funds available to you before the check "clears" in a final sense, so you can be fooled into thinking the check is good, just long enough to get ripped off, before the bank comes back to you and says that the check was forged.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Tell him that the bank has placed a "hold" on your account, and won't let you make deposits until you pay a fee of $93.50 in cash, which you don't have. So you need the money order plus the cash.

Note in edit: Don't actually try this.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This scam is listed behind a BIG RED LINK that says "avoid scams" at the top of the CL pages.

9. I mean no disrespect, but do you actually have to ask whether this is a scam or not?:confused:

Anytime you get an email that starts with, or even includes the words "I have instructed my assistant", you don't even need to read the next sentence, because it should be blatantly obvious that it is a scam.

Is anyone really that gullible?

10. Well, he's probably a prince. All princes have assistants, ya know. ;)

11. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    It is a scam I get these all the time on Craigslist.

Do this and you will not ever hear from him again
    I tell them cash only and that drives them away. I also will never meet someone form Craigslist at my home. We always will meet in some public location.

12. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

SCAM.....big time. I have something posted on there and got a very similar responce and I just ignored it. )-(

13. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I have yet to answer "yes" to this question.