Crate 4x12 and some questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CandleStick69, Feb 28, 2010.

1. CandleStick69

CandleStick69

Feb 24, 2010
    Hey everyone, I posted a thread ( I think that's what it's called ) on these forums a couple days ago I was looking at the Acoustic B something combo,
    my friend has offered to sell me her Crate 4x12 bass cabinet, I've been looking around and I can not find the model of it.

She is sure it's a bass cabinet but I can't remember, her ex-husband played guitar and bass.. It could be either. I was wondering if anyone knew the model number of the Crate 4x12 bass cabinet.. I have a picture of it..

And at last, after I buy the cabinet, i'm going to try to buy a used head, I've been reading these forums for like two days, there's alot of good info, but some things I did not understand..

I have a Crate 50 watt right now, this amp has treated me very well.. It has a output plug thing in the back, could I run that to the cabinet till I get a head?

Head Wattage - i'm really confused.. 300watt head? does that mean that's the power it could push? i'm pretty sure the 4x12 is over 200 watts.. I've seen a 600 watt rig with a 200 watt head?
    It doesn't make sense to me?

At last, buying heads, are much easier than speakers, i've been told. A head works or doesn't right? I don't think you can put wear and tear on a head, besides the physical damage, like if it works it works? I was looking at picking up a used one at GC..

Here's a picture of the bass cab, or i think it is.

http://tinypic.com/r/34o4t5j/6

Thank you for reading!

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    To the best of my knowledge Crate never offered a 412 bass cabinet. They had 115's, 215's, a 215 JBL model, 210's, 410's, and for a short time a 118 cab.
    Looking at your picture, it looks like a slant front guitar cab to me.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would agree, I also don't recall ANY 412 bass cabs from them. Pass on the cab, it's useless to you for bass.

4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Crate in the mid 90's offered a 4X10 cabinet when they produced their Thunderbass cabs. I actually have a 2X15 Thunderbass cab with the Crate 440 Head. I wanted to run the 1x18 with the 4X10 but the store I bought my 2X15 from never got in the other stuff for some reason? That cabinet is definitely the guitar cabinet. I I know around the same time they offered the Blue Voodoo series and one other series that was black. Basically they were the same cabinets but the Voodoo series got a blue exterior and the others were black.

5. Peppacone

Peppacone

Jul 24, 2008
    That looks like a guitar cab man.

6. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    That's a Guitar Cabinet ... not bad for guitar .... but not a bass cabinet ... IMHO

7. CandleStick69

CandleStick69

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks guys :]

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021