CREST OR CROWN POWER AMP ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mb94952, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Hey,
    I play an AMPEG SVT-PRO tube preamp through a CREST CA4 power amp. I was considering upgrading to either a CREST CA9 or a CROWN, or an ALL TUBE power amp to get that "chug chug" sound.

I am unfamiliar with the levels of CROWN power amps. What is the CROWN version of the CA series by CREST ? In other words, what is a really good, clean, and reliable CROWN for bass guitar ?

Or I will just sell my setup and get an AMPEG SVT-CL .

:meh:

Thanks,
    Mike

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I sincerely doubt you would gain anything -not tone, not power, not portability, not anything- by switching from Crest to Crown.

3. mb94952

Yeah, I think both ( crest and crown ) are top quality. The guy I got my CREST from has BOTH a crest and a crown. There was really no difference - MAYBE the crown was a bit cleaner. That's why I LOVE talkbass ! I get your opinions from experience !!​

4. Unless you need a difference in power, I couldn't imagine changing. I really don't think there will be any difference in a live environment.

Ox.

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    MB, Are you still using the Hank 8X8 cab? Are you planning to increase the size of your rig?

The CA9 is an interesting amplifier, but sort of an ODD power level for most cabs out there. I would prefer to go higher or lower depending on what I was powering.

Spending the money for the CA9 and it just makes 2KW bridged at 4ohms. It also only makes 900 watts stereo at 4 ohms.

The advantage of utilizing PA power is to have BIG JUICE available to power cabs. Personally I feel a cab the size of an 810 requires a 1200W capable SS amplifier to kick it good. So this PA amp will not kick a pair in stereo with any headroom. So if that was your goal, I wouldn't buy a 9 but get a CA-12 as that will rock a pair of 810's.

If you are planning smaller cabs or a single cab I wouldn't spend that kind of money for an amp that NEEDS to be in MONO-Blocked to make any power. That's like pulling the big block out of your 68 camaro and pluggin in a 4 cylinder.

Just an opinion.

The XTi 4000 would make a nice amp. Reasonable too as Crown goes. Never used one though, we have guys here playing with I-Techs in a thread do a search.

BOB

6. mb94952

Hi Bob,
    Wow, people sure pay attention here ! I am still using the Hank 8x8, which I LOVE btw. I have never bridged my CA4 yet. Should I just bridge it to get more juice and forget all this GAS ? I am new to the whole pre/power thing, so I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of it yet ! The only reason I'm even considering all this is because the amps clips at mid volume. It worries me. Is it safe ?​

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    "only" 900w stereo at 4 ohms? That's 900w per cab. That could level buildings if your input sensitivity is matched.

The Crest CA series makes a great bass power amp because the very low input sensitivity (.775vrms) matches well with the output power of most bass preamps, and will give you the most out of the 900w you have.

Speaking from experience, 900w per side is more than enough to drive an 8x10 each side. I used a Yamaha power amp with relatively high input voltage (1.5vrms) with a 1.0vrms power amp and had no problems with enough volume in most circumstances. The Crest is gonna be a lot louder, and my Yamaha was only 700w.

900 watts rms will explode almost any cabinet, given transient peaks will be significantly more than that. Needing more is almost unimaginable unless you're running like 4 cabs per side or something.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It clips because it has a low input voltage (.775 vrms) in all likelihood. If the clip light is coming on intermittently it is probably fine.

If your preamp puts out a very hot signal (read your manual or call Ampeg support) you can modify the Crest input voltage. Or you can just turn your preamp out down and the power amp up.

IIRC, you should be listening for speaker distortion before you get really concerned, or seeing constant solid clip light.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only brands I would recommend other than Crest (which seems like one of the best) are:
    Yamaha (lots of features! the low pass and high pass are awesome) -- however you need a very hot preamp with XLR outs for this (or a VERY VERY hot preamp with 1/4 outs, since unbalanced outs mean a large drop in effective voltage)

QSC PLX - good input voltage (around 1v) and nice features and very lightweight.

10. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I have used Crest CA6 and Crown Microtech 1200 for bass rigs. I say I like the tone of the CA6 just a little better. Might be input sensitivity, might be amplifier damping, I don't know, I just know the tone was, to my ears, a little more pleasant on the CA6.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    MB what cabs are you using (or plan on) and what ohms?

The CA4 will put out 1100 watts Bridged Mono into a 4 ohms load.

As far as the Crest Crown comparison it really depends on what specific amp models. For Crowns IMO the Macro Techs are the way to go. For Crest the CA series are Industrial Grade as compared to a number of more popular amps out there.

As for the Crown Macro Tech and the Crest CA9 there is a reason for the price tag on those babys. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Hope this helps.:)

12. Yup. That'll pin your ears back for sure. Give it a try. Just be careful as the amp will then be capable of blowing Hank to shreds.

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've got a crown macrotech 2402 left over from a pre power rig I used to use. The macrotech line is Crown's lead sled top of the line stuff just like the CA stuff is for Crest. I personally give the nod to the Crown over the crest, but the difference isn't that massive.

All that aside, try bridging your current amp before you upgrade. That CA4 ought to give you plenty of oomph. I'd recommend being careful with it though. I've heard from several people that said that those Henry 8x8's sound pretty clean and keep taking extra juice right up to the point they blow a speaker. Bridge it then be careful with all that power.

14. mb94952

Thanks ! Great advice and to the point.
    - Mike​

15. Ectagon

Ectagon

Nov 14, 2007
    Norway
    I just sold off an Ampeg SVP Pro and Crown K1. I liked the Crown, massive power, clear sound and no fan. I doubt there is much to gain by just changing brand. To me it was the features that counted the most when I decided on the Crown K1 (2x550 Watt in 4 Ohm without any fan-noise). Tube power amp on the other hand...

16. I run a Crown K2 on my rig. I run it bridged, but don't have the cabs to REALLY crank it(2500 watts @ 4ohms). Plenty of clean power! I have a buddy that swears by the CA9. Both are fantastic amps.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021