Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest ST2000 or QSC PLX 3002?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Power amp question: I understand that the ST2000 has been discontinued but I've found a KILLER price on one new in the box.
    However, the price is exactly what I would pay for a new PLX 3002 that I also have lined up. I'm somewhat reluctant to buy a discontinued product but I've previously owned a Crest LT1500 and really liked it (except the weight) so I am still interested in the Crest.
    Having read virtually every post here about the ST2000 and the seemingly endless posts on the 3002, is there anyone that could pass along any direct comparison information? Reliability, tone, etc?
    Thanks

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can't go wrong with either one but my personal experience is with the ST2000. There is not a night that goes by when I look back and am thankful for that poweramp. It is just so commanding. It supports my tone in every way. The notes from my bass just pop out of the speakers with precision. As for it being discontinued, I recently had to send it to Crest (for something that I did :rolleyes: ) and they fixed it, payed for it and sent it back no charge. I was surprised how quickly it got back to me as well. They will honor the warrenty so you really won't have a problem with that at all. Consider it a non issue. They can fix any Crest amp from any period of the company's history. Again though, you really can't go wrong with either choice. I just happen to love what I ended up with in a big way.

3. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    After reading all the posts about the ST2000, I knew Mr. emjazz would be a big Crest supporter!

4. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    mjmorgan,
    I`m looking for a ST2000 myself, and I`m sort of dissappointed to hear that the model is discontinued.
    Can I ask where you found one, and do you know if they have
    more than one in stock?

5. As I have no direct experience with the Crest I can only mention that I am extremely impressed with my PLX3002. It's extremely reliable, and has some very well thought-out features like switchable filters and limiters - which make it ideal for use as a bass power amp.

6. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    There are several online DJ/pro-audio places that have the Crest ST2000. I sent out emails to several a received responses from most of them. Prices range between $1099-$1299 but the place that I talked to personally today (which I will not discolse!) had one available for significantly less. It was brand new but the box had been opened.
    As far as the QSC PLX 3002 goes, Mark at Life Effects Pro audio had the best prices by far! His prices include the factory modification to change the input sensitivity from 1.7v to .775V and seriously cheap FedEx shipping.
    Hope this helps.

7. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks a lot mjmorgan!

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm kind of split on the subject.

I have a PLX1602 and like the options available through the switchable modes/filters/limiter (even though I don't use any filters), but I also like the D class operation of the LT & ST series.

Both the PLX and the ST use switching power supplies.
    Sounds like both companies have good customer support.

For me it would probably come down to $$ per Watt.

Sounds like you found a good offer.
    I would jump on the ST2000.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I wouldn't worry to much about it being discontinued as it's being replaced by the CD series.

10. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Taking a look at the initial specs on the CD series, its right back up at 35 lbs. I'm sure they're very nice but I'm looking to cut the weight, hence the ST2000 (23lbs) or the PLX 3002 (21lbs).

11. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I am partial to QSC. Their service has been fantastic, the stuff sounds good, what's not to like?

Crest I have never liked much. I find them heavier and not as open sounding (PA usage).

And, they seem to be hooked up with Peavey now, and I have never liked Peavey either. So I guess I'm biased, but there it is.

Frankly they probably would both work fine.....I'd still get the QSC.

12. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I shopped around and the price on the ST2000 was something I couldn't pass up. It should be here in a few days and I'll post a review when it does come in.
    If it doesn't work out there's always the PLX!
    Thanks for the input.

13. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Good luck with your new ST2000 mj..!
    Now that you`ve ordered yours...would you mind
    sharing with us what you had to pay for it?
    I will also look forward to read your review after you`ve checked out this amp.

14. I don't think you could have made a bad choice here. ENJOY!

15. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Discountinued vs Warranty?

Or is the discontinued model under full factory warranty with plenty of parts available down the road?

16. peavey owns crest.

the crest Pro 200 series pretty well owns the ST series in every way, so the STs are largely redundant. if you were considering an ST, you should also consider a Pro 200 amp.

robb.

17. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I did research the Pro 7200 extensively. My problems with the Pro 7200 are that it is a little heavier, has an input sensitivity between 2.35v and 4.7v (WAY less sensitive thann the .775v of the ST), and draws up much more current than the ST for normal operations. It also produces the same 1000w per side at 4 ohms. Not to mention that it is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the $799 I paid for a new with warranty ST2000.
    Overall I think I made the right choice in this matter. The only things to evaluate now are the quality of sound of the ST, fan noise, etc.
    All of this is, of course, my opinion and based on my needs.

18. no, i think you made the right choice.

the weight difference isn't that significant, nor do i think you'll notice the power draw difference. but for the money, $799 for a new ST2000 is pretty close to impossible to beat.

i was speaking more from a marketing, good/better/best philosophy perspective in which the Pro 200 line obsoletes the ST and LT lines.

robb.

19. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I have no doubt that the Pro 200 series amps are awesome. The power of the 8200 and 9200 is absolutely rediculous. We're talking about cracking the Earth's crust kinds of power and volume with those things. They have more thousands of watts of power, especially bridged, than I could ever possibly see using.
    For me its more a matter of buying a new '03 Corvette off the show room floor versus the newly designed '05. Both of them will perform at incredible levels, but I'm getting a killer deal by buying the "older" model.
    I'm only a couple cabs short of my dream of putting 500w into each of FOUR EA CXL112s!

(evil smile forms while imagining turning up the volume knob on bass while standing in front of wall of EAs...)

20. good, then we're agreed. :)

that is, indeed, and evil goal. but it's one that i share, except with fewer cabinets. and bergantino. i have been going about trying to acquire a pro 200 amp, but i'm not sure which.

robb.