1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crossover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richdmadman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. richdmadman

richdmadman

Sep 30, 2011
    I have a Mesa boogie M9 with a Avalon U5 for a pre amp- a long with a 1x15 and a 2x10 Mesa cab - I want to send my effects and mids to the 2x10 and the lows to the 1x15 - what rack mount crossover can I use to do this?

2. There are lots of rack mountable crossovers (Peavey, Rane, etc) Google it. But to do it right (assuming the 115 is a sub woofer) you need two amps with the preamp, crossover, etc before the amps (and usually a biamp like a GK 800RB, etc or a stereo PA type amp is used).

3. richdmadman

richdmadman

Sep 30, 2011
    So I could ditch the Mesa boogie M9 - then go with a stereo power amp (two channel amp) with my Avalon u5 on one channel then another preamp on the other channel? Then would I really need a crossover?

4. No, not if you set it up that way because that isn’t biamping. To split the freq.‘s so the lows go to the 115 sub cab and mids to the 210 you need to biamp and you need a crossover to biamp. The signal chain would be (bass - preamp - crossover - amps - speakers). If you just want to split the effects and dry signals into separate cabs (not freq.’s) just get a second bass amp and drive each cab with separate amps and put the effects in the amp driving the 210.

5. If you already have the M9 I would say keep it, get one big cab and rock out. :bassist:

6. richdmadman

richdmadman

Sep 30, 2011
    Funny you say that, I just pulled out my Avalon u5 and set the Mesa m9 to flat all the way across. With some fine tuning on my boss bass eq - I swear I thought I saw a ray of light coming from cab. Love it!