1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown Com tec 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdalamond, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hi new guy here with a few questions. I am on a budget and have a crown com tec 210 power amp. Can I buy a decent cabinet and a SansAmp and use that as a decent rig around the house. I'm not planning on playing out anytime soon, still on the learning curve, so that's not an issue. I'm just tired of using headphones and want to drive the wife nuts :bassist: Also what would a good size but small and inexpensive cabinet be? Thanks in advance.

2. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    That's a great little power amp. The input sensitivity is good, should work very well with a Sansamp preamp.

I would look for a good 8 ohm 210 (cabinet with two 10 inch drivers) to use with it, the amp can be run in bridged mono into 8 ohm and provide 300W. Different brand and model cabs have different "flavours" so it would depend on what style of music you play, what sounds best to you, etc..

3. Excellent, Thanks for the info. Im leaning towards the Alice in chains/ offspring type of sound .I can always add a 12 or a 15 later so the hunt for a good 2 10 is on . Thanks again. Oh by the way my basses are a 5 string Ibanez BTB and a 4 string Ibanez Sr600.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    read up around here before you do that!

the accumulated wisdom of a lot of serious speaker guys is that mixing different kinds of bass cabs doesn't kick as much ass as matching identical ones.

anyway yeah, a sansamp into a power amp is a great "bass amp". it's all i've ever needed.

5. Thanks for the advice Walter. Did some reading up and still have more to do. Currently looking into the Genz Benz Focus-LT FCS-210T. Looks to have a nice Freq range.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    AIC and The Offspring are heavily covered by my band. I use an RBI and it sounds great.

Listen to Walter about the matching cabs.

7. Floyd tell me more, What is this RBI you speak of?

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    SansAmp RBI is a rackmount preamp. Extremely similar to the BDDI if I'm not mistaken, only in a rackmount version.

9. Ahh yes , just found it . Not much more cost wise either. Hmmm, I got major GAS now. Wifes not gonna be happy, but I will. Have you used both? Do you prefer the RBI and if so why.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No I have not used both, but I believe the RBI has a few more tone shaping options then the BDDI. It also might be interesting for you to look at the SansAmp RPM, which is similar to the RBI except that it has extra mid controls, at the expense of the "Presence" knob, I believe.

Though I love the Presence knob. lol

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Yeah, the RBI is the same as the pedal, with an added mid knob, separate level control for the XLR out, and a bit more patching options.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Thanks for clarifying Walter. I've never had the pedal so I wasn't exactly sure,

13. Wee I just picked up a nice used RBI off evil bay for $200.

14. Meant to say well not wee

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    That's a good price. I'm sure you will dig it. My affinity for mine has kept me from pulling the trigger on an SVT for years now.