1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XLS 5000 questions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by realbadgroove, Apr 29, 2010.

1. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    So I just bought two crown XLS 5000s to run subs last minute because we wound up short for a big show we have on monday and I have yet to get them in anyhow I would have liked to get the new Macrotech 5000i but didnt have money in the budget. We will be running them 4 ohm stereo on JBL 2240x2 and my biz partner seems to think they will run the subs no sweat where as I think it will be under powering the subs at 1800 watts. We have to hit 120DB for this show and I just dont see these amps getting the JBLs to there 108db or so without ******** a brick. Any bets

2. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Um, the 2240 is really a 500w driver. 1 per channel @ 1000w each and you will be taking them to the recone show in a hurry. 2 per channel @ 1800e (900ea) and it's the same. The crown XTi4000 (1200 and 650w @ 4 and 8 pc) would be a better match, even the XTi2000 too.

What are the boxes exactly? HPF set at? type of music? DJ? Band?

3. Paulie_m

Paulie_m

Jan 11, 2010
    VT
    JBL are known for power compression. The more power you put into them, the less they will put out after a certain point due to heat.

4. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    All drivers suffer from power compression. there is a diminishing rate of return that kicks in quckly above the RMS rating of most drivers. 1800w may be 3db more than 900w but in reality produce 1 or .5dB in gain. Add to that the mechanical and thermal stress that will fry the driver in a short time.

5. bassthumper74

bassthumper74

May 9, 2010
    Pete has said it best. The XLS model numbers are very confusing because they are not a true model of what the amp can do. The Crown XTI and the DSI series although a bit more costly are a better choice as far as being able to identify what they are on sight. Unfortunately, if you run your subs on that XLS for a prolonged period your 2240's will suffer.

I run 2225's myself and run them on XTI 2000's.

6. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Well funny you say that, first show with the amps and a 2240 started on fire and it was a fresh recone and we blew a few more subs. But we should be using the 2242s anyway so its time to spend more money.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    With most drivers power compression sets in well below rated power - it's just that very few manufacturers mention it, let alone document it. For instance the popular JBL 2241 "subwoofer" (which I expect is better than many of the commonly used drivers out there):

At 60W (10dB below rated power) it's already at .8dB of power compression (per JBL's spec sheet).

At 300W (3dB below rated power = half power) it's at 2.6dB of power compression. We gave it 7dB more power, but got only 5.2dB more output. Poor, but we are not pushing the power limits.

At 600W (rated power) it's at 4.3dB of power compression.

Going from 60W to 600W (an increase of of 10dB) gave us an increase in output of only 6.8dB.

That last (3dB) increase of power input (from 300W to 600W) gave us only 1.7dB of additional output.